Interesting find in field

b8ascrub

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located next to a 240 acre area of natural fields. Historic maps show only one house about 50 years ago. Me and my daughter have been covering small sections and not finding much but old iron bolts from the farmer. However, yesterday on our way home my detector went off on the trail we were walking. It said 25c about 7 inches deep. We dug out what appeared to be a rock but is extremely heavy for its small size. Also it has a metal feel to it and rings like metal. Called up my dad who is a retired welder and he thinks it’s some form of silver that may have been melted down or it’s silver in it’s raw form. It weighs almost 4 oz and it’s only 2 inches long by 1 1/2 wide and 1/4 thick. I don’t see any silver specs but it is surely metal. Retested with the detector and it’s saying 25cents.

Pics included, let me know what you think. ED54B377-9613-47BF-83D3-374D72C49D9C.jpeg 5FEC4B64-ED67-43E5-8322-AB342C2C6F9B.jpeg 135822C0-A48A-4312-8282-07158104A7D3.jpeg

Upvote 7

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try a magnet , that will give you an idea of what you've found. it looks like a chunk of an old woodstove to me. forget about the detector telling you what you've found, as you can see it's only a guess and often wrong. Welcome to the site , keep swinging...

OP
OP
B

b8ascrub

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I found a pretty cool site that walks you through metal testing. First test was a magnet and it passed, does not stick to it. Second test was an ice cube. The ice cub started to melt instantly on this.

So far it’s passed the raw silver tests. May take the to a coin shop or jeweler and get their opinion.

Also, this was found in Pennsylvania. Location is very close to an old iron forge area. If you look up Pine Forge Pennsylvania you can see the areas around me. Very rural and lots of natural fields that have been this way for a long time!

OP
OP
B

b8ascrub

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennsylvania, 1 hour west of Philadelphia

OP
OP
B

b8ascrub

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try a magnet , that will give you an idea of what you've found. it looks like a chunk of an old woodstove to me. forget about the detector telling you what you've found, as you can see it's only a guess and often wrong. Welcome to the site , keep swinging...

My 8 yr daughter will agree with you on that! My detector will say 10cents and we dig up old beer cans or tin trays and she gets mad!! I am extremely new to this but love getting her out in the fields and learning something other than the iPad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread