What's new

Interesting little quartz piece

Wes213

Full Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
136
Reaction score
264
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first found this little guy I really did not think much of it. But at a second glance I think it is interesting. It is uniface, has a weird hump in the center, and also has some pretty deliberate looking notches on it. I am not sure if it was hafted or a hand held tool, but I do not think it is a reworked point, it looks too deliberate. What do you guys think? IMG_1980.webpIMG_1987.webpIMG_1981.webpIMG_1990.webpIMG_1989.webp
 
Upvote 0
That does look curious! Really has the shape of an arrowhead on one side. Maybe that hump you mentioned caused it to split weird and it was tossed. Or just a coincidence. Was quartz used for arrowheads?
 
Yes, Quartz arrowheads are very common in my area. I think though that since this one is unifaced that it is most likely some sort of scraper.
 
Some of those uni ones were actually a type of hafted gouge the narrow section would of been in the handle and the fat end is the working end. I have 1 made out of quartz and some others made from flint. Is the hump towards the big end?
 
Some of those uni ones were actually a type of hafted gouge the narrow section would of been in the handle and the fat end is the working end. I have 1 made out of quartz and some others made from flint. Is the hump towards the big end?

Thanks Rock! The hump seems to be pretty much in the center, I included a side view that does the best job I find to show the hump. So you are saying that the pointed end was hafted and the broad end was the working point? Like a hafted spokeshaves?
 
I guess a tool or knife could be it to
 
I've found some almost identical. I always figured they were culls. But I still kept it
 
JMO the hump has you call it is where it was taken off of a larger piece, that is the shape you get when knapping and a lot of the time they would use a flake for a quick tool. Good eye:icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom