Interesting old Brass shield with design?

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little time to go back to the 1700 homestead I found last week. Two items really stand out from today's finds. A early brass keyhole escutcheon plate and a brass shield with a simple but interesting design on the front. I know the escutcheon matches some what closely to a 1600 reproduction plate I saw on line. Certainly was made for a big key. Probably a chest. The shield has me stumped as to it's mounting looks heavy duty and naïve design and purpose? Help requested.

Attachments

• todays finds.jpg
    todays finds.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 94
  • early keyhole escutcheon.jpg
    early keyhole escutcheon.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 50
  • keyhole back.jpg
    keyhole back.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 61
  • brass shield.jpg
    brass shield.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 62
  • shield back.jpg
    shield back.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 12

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on some very nice saves. The shield is almost the right size and shape to be a saddle shield from off of a horse saddle.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to both of you. That would probably be the best answer. I have found lots of oxen shoes in the area but no horse shoes yet. Too fancy for a oxen!

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The shield is a strap end. Would've been attached to the end of a leather strap to help prevent from rolling/curling and make it easier to thread through the buckle.

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little time to go back to the 1700 homestead I found last week. Two items really stand out from today's finds. A early brass keyhole escutcheon plate and a brass shield with a simple but interesting design on the front. I know the escutcheon matches some what closely to a 1600 reproduction plate I saw on line. Certainly was made for a big key. Probably a chest. The shield has me stumped as to it's mounting looks heavy duty and naïve design and purpose? Help requested.
The design on the shield is ‘the Prince of Wale’s feathers’, a common British patriotic motif.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design on the shield is ‘the Prince of Wale’s feathers’, a common British patriotic motif.
Thank you BAW. I assumed it was not just decoration. The items I'm finding were most likely brought over from England. Trying to find the name of the family who lived there. They may be buried at the close by cemetery in Brewster.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves and in such good condition, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread