What's new

Interesting old relic never found one of these.

Gregg3131

Hero Member
Joined
May 24, 2015
Messages
706
Reaction score
3,750
Golden Thread
4
Location
Va
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a confederate Civil war campsite. Apparently this is a 1840s Disston medallion that went in handle of a saw. Great condition.
 

Attachments

  • 20160619_170658-1.webp
    20160619_170658-1.webp
    498.6 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 22
That's cool... Never seen one before...
 
Definitely a cool relic. I found one earlier this year and had no idea what it was when I posted it. Congrats!
 
Ive found a couple of those saw medallions. Not quit that old though. Nice find
 
Back is plain missing screw.
 
These little buggers have fooled lots of people. But yes they are always cool looking.
 
I was freaking out. Thought I had a super rare Civil War relic but still very cool.
 
Never saw one before. Thanks for posting this. Great find...
 
Just did a search for "Disston logo" and saw several different designs for this company. Maybe they changed designs now and then?
 
Correct Kcm. The design changed over the years this is one of the earliest designs.
 
I've had several Disston saws over the years. Can honestly say I never paid the slightest notice to that little disc right there rubbing my thumb! :laughing7:
 
Pretty cool. Thank you for sharing. Finds like this keep the hobby fresh and fun.
 
I found one of those last year. I don't think it's as old as yours, though.

de3415e143fc852f5ea0b0f1f5511c4d.jpg
 
Fantastic find, if it could only talk! Congratualtions.
 
[FONT=&quot] The established date for this medallion begins in 1860. It is necessary to point out that the date is not precise, as in, "it was put on saws starting on the date 1/1/60." There is no evidence to put most of these production dates to anything closer than a reasonable estimation. For example, this one may have appeared initially on any date between, say, 1858 and 1862; there is no evidence to say precisely.\
Source--and a good one for Disston saws:
[/FONT]
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html
1860med.jpg


Don.......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom