Interesting Rocks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... There is another forum here that addresses signs and symbols. I haven't spent much time there but of all they claim to have found I here of no treasure. ....

Nor have I ever heard of any treasures that were the result of "someone seeing a sign or symbol on a rock", that started them in the right direction.

But the answer they will give is simple: "We find treasures. But we just don't post them, for fear of the IRS, fear of thiefs, etc... " And if you point out that md'rs post their show & tell bragging rights all the time (some of them even valuable), they will say that their treasures are "big ticket" items, much more valuable, thus not in league with individual fumble fingers rings, coins, etc... of the hobby.

So it's fruitless to ever say "where's the results?" :icon_scratch:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nor have I ever heard of any treasures that were the result of "someone seeing a sign or symbol on a rock", that started them in the right direction.

But the answer they will give is simple: "We find treasures. But we just don't post them, for fear of the IRS, fear of thiefs, etc... " And if you point out that md'rs post their show & tell bragging rights all the time (some of them even valuable), they will say that their treasures are "big ticket" items, much more valuable, thus not in league with individual fumble fingers rings, coins, etc... of the hobby.

So it's fruitless to ever say "where's the results?" :icon_scratch:

Yeah, well ... don't forget that you need to include all your finds for this year on your federal/state/county/city income tax filings there Tom. Remember that you need to include the "intrinsic value" of any finds that could potentially be of historical value and that you need to turn in any items that could be held to be of ancient, geographical, ethnic , or other significance --- at your expense of course, and without compensation for costs incurred in their recovery.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yeah, well ... don't forget that you need to include all your finds for this year on your federal/state/county/city income tax filings there Tom. Remember that you need to include the "intrinsic value" of any finds that could potentially be of historical value ....

Naturally. Of course :) To your knowledge has anyone of us md'rs, who has posted our show & tell bragging rights .... EVER been contacted by an IRS agent wondering about the reporting of said-income ? I mean, it wouldn't be hard to find out who "chadeaux" in "southeast Arkansas" is. We can find you, get past your avetar , and discover your home address. MUHAHAHAHA !

For me, I suppose it won't be hard for them to find me. Afterall, how many "Tom's" in "Salinas, CA" are there who metal detect ? But I'm safe: Because even after any show & tell, I promptly go back and out and bury it again (a "catch and release" tactic). Thus not subject to reporting them on my income :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread