Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was motoring through an old neighborhood today and suddenly recognized a site from my childhood over fifty years ago. That's half a century! When I was a lad my Grandmother use to walk to downtown and take me with her. She would stop along the way and visit with various folks. After she died the State built an expressway through the edge of her property and tore her house down. Down the street from her house was a row of shotgun houses. They all had those Catalpa (sp?) trees in their front yards, the ones with the big beans growing on them the broad leaves and the creepy worms that drop out on lines of silk. I found two of those old trees still standing where it would have been a front yard back in the 1950's! The street had been moved and covered the site of the house itself. I can't wait to give it a once over. It's a relatiavely small area and I could cover it thoroughly in a day or two. Glad I have a good memory.

Upvote 0
There should be some good finds just waitin for you. Good luck pal, don't forget to let us know how it goes.

? ?Did a quick run over part of this area today.? Set my ACE 250 on " jewelry" mode, backed off sensitivity a couple of notches and got hits about a foot apart all over the small area I covered.? Apparently hasn't been hunted as I dug up about a dozen chunks of aluminum cans tha look ot have been hit by a lawn mower, shredded and scattered.? Found a collar for an old plumbing pipe.? Found the plumbing pipe itself!? After a couiple hours of many signals and nothing good, found one clad penny.? By this time it was getting dark so I called it a day.? JIM? ?And Oh yeah, dug up what appeared to be a cable TV line at about 2" deep.? Don't know where it went or where it came from as this is a small part of a lot that was divided by an expressway.? Not big enough to build on and I'm pretty sure this parcel belongs to the state and is expressway easemenat?

Sounds like an interesting site, if ya can get all the trash out of the way, should yeild something... Ya might beable to dig up something from your childhood... ;D I think that would be so cool to find something you, or someone you know, yourself had lost as a kid...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

I'm glad to hear you post the truth about digging for hours and finding nothing interesting...I thought it was just me.

No, it's not just you I assure you. I might go back next week and find all kinds of stuff. That's just the way it goes. I don't like to be too methodical, grid it off, etc. I like to just kinda' spot check a new site expecially if it is big. Then I go back and narrow my search to the most likely areas. But the goodies are not always in the places you'd think. Strange hobby we have. JIM

alabamadan said:
I'm glad to hear you post the truth about digging for hours and finding nothing interesting...I thought it was just me.
Reality does set in once in a while. :-\ The more expierence you get the better the hunt goes. We do have to resign ourselves to getting the trash out. this always makes for a better second time around. The demo sites I do are like this. If its too much trash I just leave.There are too may other places to go and unless you know the history like in Jim's case here ,it just might not pay at all. Then again you have to remember we are here too post finds and talk about the good stuff for the most part. I sure I wouldn't be hanging around if it was all negative, LOL. ;D But you are correct Dan, we do need to keep it real.It makes it better for everyone in the long run. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back