What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED iridium / osmiridium?

detectorFRED

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Help Identifying Unusual Stone Found in Pennsylvania

I found this unusual specimen while excavating/preparing ground for a concrete pad in Pennsylvania. It was buried in the soil/subsurface — not found along a railroad bed.

Photos attached.

What caught my attention:

  • Silver-gray fibrous/radiating texture
  • Numerous vesicles/voids throughout
  • Some reflective/metallic-looking areas in sunlight
  • Porous but somewhat dense/heavy for size
  • Very unusual texture compared to the surrounding rock
  • The Sample Weighs 36 grams
    IMG_4699.webp
    IMG_4699.webp
    IMG_4699.webp
    IMG_4697.webp
    IMG_4698.webp
    IMG_4696.webp
    IMG_4701.webp
    IMG_4700.webp
Some possibilities I’ve considered:

  • Industrial smelter slag
  • Furnace clinker
  • Fossiliferous limestone/coral
  • Iron-rich concretion
  • Nickel/copper slag
  • Possibly something containing platinum group metals (iridium/osmiridium?) — though I understand that would be extremely uncommon
I’m not claiming it is valuable; I’m simply trying to identify it correctly before doing destructive testing.

Planned tests:
 
Before any destructive tests try a streak test and certainly a hardness test. Can your fingernail scratch it? The vesicles scream slag but if it weren't for them the texture would make me think an Amphibole mineral of some kind.
 
Upvote 0
Before any destructive tests try a streak test and certainly a hardness test. Can your fingernail scratch it? The vesicles scream slag but if it weren't for them the texture would make me think an Amphibole mineral of some kind.
Guess not.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom