What's new

Iron Age Celtic Lynch pin

mattdiver

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
58
Reaction score
252
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Whites Surfmaster PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in ploughed field. There was so much junk that I was finding that day then I found the lynch pin amongst this. I reported the find under the British portable antiquities scheme. It is designed to hold the wheel onto the axle and it would have been a chariot . It dates between 100 BC TO 100AD. It is bronze with iron attached which would have originally been the axle .It would have had enamel decoration originally. These are rare finds. Generally these are found in chariot burials.I will keep looking.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01915.webp
    DSC01915.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC01918.webp
    DSC01918.webp
    10 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0
that's an amazing find! glad you persevered thru the junk. makes ya wonder what else is there
 
This is one for Crusader to look at. Congratulations on your find.
 
What an amazing find Matt. Let's hope you find lots more soon!!!!
 
Unicorn said:
This is one for Crusader to look at. Congratulations on your find.
:laughing9: I think the PAS did a good enough job.

As you point out a rare find & one Dad & I haven't had yet, probably the first one posted on Tnet :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom