IRON BRIGADE--1839 SEATED, EAGLE, SPUR, RIFLE PARTS...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Short and sweet. I don't feel like eloquence tonight. All day in the Freezing Cold and High Winds will do that...but the finds have more than made up for any temporary discomfort. :)

Bonzaibrandi, Rodeo Recon, and I first made a quick stop to do a fast re-hunt of another spot. BBrandi got a nice Eagle Button there:

Picture 016.jpg

Then we hit the road for a spot that we knew was early, but needed to find the first house on the property. Well, if we didn't find it today, we came pretty close. The site is Full of big iron--and it is spread over Acres of ground. The finds come slowly there, and only after lots of work.

Here's a photo I took of Rodeo and Brandi while I checked out a little knoll for signs of habitation:

Picture 001.jpg

This site reminds me of relic hunting. There is a Lot of potentially good area, and you just have to wander and dig. The finds at the types of sites I usually hunt are mostly within a clearly defined iron patch... Well, not so at this site! Here's a shot from another direction...

Picture 013.jpg

Would've been a Long walk out there in that wind chill today without driving to the site. Thanks Brandi! :thumbsup:

I found a convex brass button--which I knew was pretty early. Right after that, as I was wielding the Big Brass piece in the finds photos below, Rodeo yelled "I've got a Half Dime!" I went running--still thinking that the brass piece in my hand was iron. :P

Here's the little silver gem in the dirt:

Picture 006.jpg

A few more buttons came up--and some toe taps (Brandi found FOUR of them today, plus a piece of another one! Rodeo and I got one each.) Then Rodeo called me over to see a piece of a SPUR he found! Looks like about 3/5ths of one--and mangled by the plow, but it is still a great find. The spur is unfortunately unmarked.

Picture 021.jpg

I had a little fun on the side of a knoll and managed to get a rifle trigger guard. Brandi scored half of a ramrod channel and a pocket watch winding key. :thumbsup:

So here's a list of what we found, the before/afters, and all that other stuff that seems to make for a good post...

An 1839-O "No Drapery" Half Dime,

Part of a Spur,

An Eagle Button,

An Early Rifle Trigger Guard,

Part of a Ramrod Channel,

A Pocketwatch winding key,

Five flat buttons,

Six toe taps,

And bits.

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 027.jpg

TG1-1.jpg

TG-1.jpg

Picture 005.jpg
Best Wishes to All,

Buckles and Crew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IRON BRIGADE--1839 SEATED, EAGLE, SPUR...

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Nick Loves Silver Gems ... :thumbsup:

Sweet hunt Buckles ...

Congratulations Righteous Relics & Amazing Argento ...

Life is Good ...

Continue to Persevere & Rock On with your bad sometimes Non- Eloquent feeling Self ... ;D

~ Nick ~

Thanks Nick. I'm back to Eloquence today. :D

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super nice finds! Ya'll have found a good site. Surely it is a campsite. Congrats!
Mike

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Gotta love the half-dimes! Nice one at that!

Yes, it is a nice one. Rodeo inched ahead of me on his silver count with that one--so now I have to find the next one in order to catch up.

-Buckles

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Cool relics BB!! Love the seated.That trigger guard is cool,maybe the rest of the gun is there somewhere? Now I've seen TWO pocketwatch winders in my life ;D that one looks almost identical to one i dug and had identified on the what is it forum a few weeks ago..hey,what can i say,I'm a rookie ;D Jerry

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Cool relics BB!! Love the seated.That trigger guard is cool,maybe the rest of the gun is there somewhere? Now I've seen TWO pocketwatch winders in my life ;D that one looks almost identical to one i dug and had identified on the what is it forum a few weeks ago..hey,what can i say,I'm a rookie ;D Jerry

The first watch winder I dug back in the early 90s I threw away because I didn't have any clue as to what it was.Β  (Yes, we all start somewhere...)

:wink:

Thanks for your reply Jerry.Β  I hope we find at least a side plate or butt plate for the gun.Β  This was a great hunt for me, because since I moved here in '03 I've wanted to find a piece of a Kentucky Rifle.

-Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your replies, and best wishes to you on your weekend hunts.
:thumbsup:

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread