IRON Brigade: SEATED HALF DOLLAR and a Complete MUSKET LOCK PLATE!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

Got up this morning and got a call from HB who was jonesin' for a hunt after his spur and eagle button on Wednesday. Took a look at the truck thermometer and figured it would be a nice day to dig a few holes. :P

00000.jpg

So we set out for the site, bringing the probe so we could open up the privy too. ;D

When we got there, we did some probing for the privy, and indeed hit glass. :) We opened up a hole and started finding busted up china and bits of glass. So the hole got wider....and deeper... (We'd already asked the owner if this was o.k. and gotten the go-ahead on the privy dig.) Here's a photo of DiggerGirl down in there:

DG.jpg

We took turns digging, and picked up our detectors and swung when we weren't working the privy. Here's HB gettin' it dug. ;D

HB.jpg

We soon figured out that we were in a burn pit--we dug down to clay and found only charred items, a brass spoon, a harmonica reed plate, and broken china and stoneware. Few bottles, and not much worth reconstructing. :-\ So we covered 'er in and kept detecting.

My very first signal of the day was a good one. It was an overload--so I knew it was big, or shallow, or both...so I cut a big plug. Well let me say that we dig so few silver coins out here that it takes a second for it to sink in when we find one. What I wasn't prepared for was the SIZE of this one coming out of the ground. I was thinking "Nah--it can't be" when I bent over to get a closer look:

Z 000.jpg

My first instinct was "Cut Spanish Silver!" as I looked at the find--and when HB asked what I found, I think I said something like just a CUT SPANISH COIN. As I looked at the coin more closely, I realized it said "Half Dollar" on it! :o It is an 1858-O Seated HALF!

Z 001a.jpg

Folks, it's been quite a few years since my last Seated Half find, and I am Thrilled.

We kept pounding the site, finding toe taps, organ reeds, harmonica parts, clock parts, and lantern tops. I dug a wierd, flattened/cut minieball closer to the cellar hole--all the while watching the Iron pile grow by the truck. (I know there's 40 lbs there from the hunt today.)

Then as darkness approaches, HB yells at me from across the site. I can see him holding up something in his hand--and I immediately knew what it was--a complete musket lock plate!

LockplateFront.jpg

Folks, I have never seen one of these dug before. I've dug pieces before, but no dice on a complete lock plate. The best part of this one is the condition--with some Slow electrolysis and a little luck, we might be able to read some markings.

Incredible hunt today, but I am Beat to Death. At least I can feel my fingers now. :tard:

So here is a shot of my finds for the day, along with HB's lock plate. If anyone can identify the model of gun this piece is from, please let us know. :thumbsup:

Z 100.jpg

The finds cleaned, and close-ups of some of the goodies:

ZZ1.jpg

ZZ3.jpg

ZZ2a.jpg

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to HB on this one. Good huntin' with you today, buddy. :thumbsup:

ZZ5.jpg

ZZ6.jpg

And that's part of the reason we dig all the Iron. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xdanthemanx said:
hey BB looking at your picture i see th clock with th gears, you got any definate dating on that, i have came me and ian have dug at least a dozen of those this summer in about the same condition some still have gears, I ma thinking they made quite a few of those was just wondering about how old??

DAN

Got no idea, Dan. I have a bunch of them too--and I've never seen what the clock looked like new or gotten any information on it. Some of the pieces are marked with a company name--so it might be possible to date 'em from that, although I haven't gotten the chance to try yet.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job on the lockplate, it has the rearward plate unlike the Enfield that has an "up front" lockplate. It may be off a Sharps or Spencer.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
l.cutler said:
I think that forth screwhole is the stud that the mainspring rests against, you can see it on the inside of the found lockplate in the same location. I posted on the NSSA forum, those folks really know there Civil War firearms. There has been only one response so far, I was waiting to see if there were any more. The one response said it looks like a Gwyn and Campbell #1 which is also called a Cosmopolitan #3 by Edwards. It looks like #1 G&C's were marked on the breech not the lock, but I may be wrong on that.

Any more replies?How about a pic of a type 1 G&C can't find one anywhere.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, nothing, a lot of views, only one response. I'll keep looking for a photo whenever I get the chance.

superficialbob

Jun 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,Garrett Ace 250
Great story, and nice looking 3/4 coin. Better luck on the privy next go around. HH :icon_sunny:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
The first two photos have a hammer that looks very close to the one found.Best pic I have found so far.

Attachments

• 11439-02.jpg
    11439-02.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 172
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!  Looks like a G&C Type I to me!!

Nice work, l.cutler!  And great for you, HB on finding the photos!

Wish I had a close-up of the stamp so that I'd know what I was looking for as I start the electrolysis/brushing.

-Buckles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go again. I love these old weapons mysteries. I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat someone's post info. It's not a Spencer lockplate due to the lack of curvature of the hammer. Could it be related to the trigger guard you found,........ different location? I confess, I don't know what it is, but in comparing it with some I can tell you what it isn't. :wink: Anxious to see if it is solved. Monty

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Here we go again. I love these old weapons mysteries. I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat someone's post info. It's not a Spencer lockplate due to the lack of curvature of the hammer. Could it be related to the trigger guard you found,........ different location? I confess, I don't know what it is, but in comparing it with some I can tell you what it isn't. :wink: Anxious to see if it is solved. Monty

Yes. Certainly not a Spencer. Also not a Springfield or Enfield. And not a G&C II. Closest so far is the Cosmpolitan and the G&C Type I in the photos posted a few posts up.

HB--did you say that the G&C Type I was marked on the breech, or the lock?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for finding a picture Hill billy! The markings apparently changed several times through production, according to the Edwards book #1's were marked Union Rifle, but no mention of where. I could not see the markings on the lock in the photo I saw, but it may have been weakly stamped. In searching, I found there is a whole book about Cosmopolitan and Gwyn and Campbell carbines, I have gotten so interested I am tempted to buy it!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the electrolysis done.  The lock plate is unmarked, but still a FINE piece!

Well done HB.  Pick your finished relic up anytime.  :)  (But take your time.  I'm enjoying having it on my desk :wink:)

-Buckles

Attachments

• Z 003a.jpg
    Z 003a.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Z 003c.jpg
    Z 003c.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread