What's new

Iron latch or something

Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Enterprise,AL
I found this in south alabama, does anyone know what it is?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0722 493x370.webp
    IMG_0722 493x370.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0723 493x370.webp
    IMG_0723 493x370.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0724 493x370.webp
    IMG_0724 493x370.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0727 493x370.webp
    IMG_0727 493x370.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0726 493x370.webp
    IMG_0726 493x370.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0725 493x370.webp
    IMG_0725 493x370.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 303
Its a handle broken from a tool. I could guess but clean it up and tell us what it says.
Possibly an old pipe wrench. Pipe-Wrench.webp
 
Upvote 0
It isn't broken. It was used to take the iron tops off the burners on an old wood stove. The cover would have a notch in it and the handle would lock in to the notch.
 
Upvote 0
Wow! Great pics :wink:
I agree with the stove tool idea.
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It isn't broken. It was used to take the iron tops off the burners on an old wood stove. The cover would have a notch in it and the handle would lock in to the notch.

Yep, that would be it. Good ID VaYank :thumbsup: Pain is often a good memory maker . . .meaning when I was a kid, my aunt left the handle in the burner (I guess as a place to hold it), and reaching to grab/touch it was something I did only once.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It isn't broken. It was used to take the iron tops off the burners on an old wood stove. The cover would have a notch in it and the handle would lock in to the notch.
I stand corrected. :icon_thumright: Thanks for making me feel young.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
vayank54 said:
It isn't broken. It was used to take the iron tops off the burners on an old wood stove. The cover would have a notch in it and the handle would lock in to the notch.
I stand corrected. :icon_thumright: Thanks for making me feel young.
Bigcypresshunter, you're welcome.......... I think. Looking at my reply again, it seems kind of blunt. I didn't mean for it to be.
 
Upvote 0
No not at all. I was
vayank54 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
vayank54 said:
It isn't broken. It was used to take the iron tops off the burners on an old wood stove. The cover would have a notch in it and the handle would lock in to the notch.
I stand corrected. :icon_thumright: Thanks for making me feel young.
Bigcypresshunter, you're welcome.......... I think. Looking at my reply again, it seems kind of blunt. I didn't mean for it to be.
No it was not blunt. 8) I was wrong. ;D Great ID. Sorry about the young comment because Im not that young even though I dont seem to remember the wood cooking stoves. Maybe we used coal in Penna.. but I think we had gas. I remember it went from Penna. to Penn. to Pa. :D
 
Upvote 0
I thought it was to remove the iron stove lids also, but after looking at it closer I don't. Those things had a tapered end to easily enter the squared hole. This is just too square, and the thicker part extending up the handle on the underside doen't add up either. Neither does the fact that if it did pick up a stove round cover, the thing would be parallel to it, rather than on a upwards slope which stove top handles are.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • CookStoveLifters.webp
    CookStoveLifters.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 188
  • WoodCookStoveLid.webp
    WoodCookStoveLid.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Good eye Johhny; you're right! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
This reminds me of a wood stove trivet I found,

2-11-7.jpg


2-11-6-1.jpg


2-11-3.jpg


2-11-4.jpg


Notice, it only has one leg.

That is to go in the square hole on tha wood stove.
That is to keep it from slipping,

2-12-1.jpg


Wood stove trivets were seldom sold alone. They
usually came with the stove. (nicer stoves)

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Good eye Johhny; you're right! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Breezie, but I think Vayanks idea was probably pretty close, just not for a stove top. It might have been to pop some other thing out, but not to hold it.
 
Upvote 0
Could I be right about the b roken tool handle? :P I think vayank is correct just a different style.

I say clean the item CW Treasure Hunter where it appears there is writing and tell us what it says.
 

Attachments

  • stove cover lifters.webp
    stove cover lifters.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Two What's Its
Replies
10
Views
635
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mystery coin
Replies
4
Views
547

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom