πŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Iron relic shaped like a key?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this deep in the woods yesterday. It's flat, heavy iron and kind of looks similar to a key. About 4 inches long and thicker than a normal key. This area has produced coins and relics from the 1700's up to the mid-1800's. May not be that old, but you never know. Any guesses on this relic would be appreciated.

Here's a decent picture. Please ignore the nosy cat!

Attachments

• G0472780.JPG
    G0472780.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 127

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess? Part of a pedal to a very old tractor, maybe even a steam tractor. But that's a guess.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure on the item, but the kitty has an awesome tail.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on the item, but the kitty has an awesome tail.

Yup, he's quite the cat! He's got huge double paws, front and back. Looks like the paws of a lion! He weighs around 20 pounds, but he's a gentle giant. Doesn't kill any critters and gets along with my other cats. One of the good ones...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions, but still not positive what it was used for. Door latch is a good guess, but most door latches are curved a little bit. It's a nice find, but I hate it when I can't figure out what it was used for back then!

Upvote 0

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this deep in the woods yesterday. It's flat, heavy iron and kind of looks similar to a key. About 4 inches long and thicker than a normal key. This area has produced coins and relics from the 1700's up to the mid-1800's. May not be that old, but you never know. Any guesses on this relic would be appreciated.
I wonder if the rust was removed if there are any markings on the piece to help identify it? Interesting shape.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could do electrolysis on it, but it's pretty pitted. Might give it a shot, though. I really want to know what this is and if it's colonial era or more recent. The area where I found it has few targets, but it's part of a public land trust of over 100 acres. I've found at least 50 flat buttons there, as well as colonial shoe buckles and my banner find, a 1785 Bar cent.

Upvote 1

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could do electrolysis on it, but it's pretty pitted. Might give it a shot, though. I really want to know what this is and if it's colonial era or more recent. The area where I found it has few targets, but it's part of a public land trust of over 100 acres. I've found at least 50 flat buttons there, as well as colonial shoe buckles and my banner find, a 1785 Bar cent.
It sounds lime fun and productive hunts! I would love to know what it is also!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread