44.2 KB · Views: 894

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
How about a steak turner?

ya hook the steak and flip it. Maybe someone in the local Cattlemans Association lost it at a cookout.

I have on, but mine is stainess.

I don't know what the scoop would be.

Burt

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We have a pigtail food flipper as well but not iron....maybe that is the old kind and the wooden handle got burnt off lol

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used an identically shaped tool - but 1/5 that size - for pulling the packing put of a propeller shaft stuffing box on a boat. The packing comes in strips (Used to be hemp greased with white lead, now it's synthetic). To pack the shaft you wrap it in three or four turns of the gasket strip, slice it along the shaft so it becomes a series of "C" rings and not a spiral, and then alternate the slits and stuff them in along the shaft inside the "box" with the cupped end. The old gasket is pulled out first with the curley end. Mine was for a 1-1/4" prop shaft on a small boat. That one could be for a "real" ship or large boat.

No idea if that's what your object is, but it is identical to the tool I described. Any similar job - where you're digging out a fiberous mass at the bottom of a long, narrow space - that would work.

I've also seen tooth extractors that shape but smaller - God help our ancestors.

Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I agree with the packing puller idea. We use similar tools, although smaller, where I work to pull old packing out of large centrifugal pumps. Prior to electrical motors, large water pumps were driven by very large steam engines. Not sure if that's what your tool was used for, but maybe something you might want to check into.

Upvote 0

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a poker for a fire place or stove?

Upvote 0

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
it does have a similiar end of a packing puller but its way bigger than any puller i have ever used. sorry i dont have any ideas.

good luck :D

Upvote 0

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
kiddrock33 said:
packing puller sounds interesting . it is 42 inches long. has a knife edge . i have seen similar looking items used for a canon tool . called a cradle which would place the desired amount of gunpowder into the barrel hence the scoop. another tool used for canon was the curly end to hold a sponge. and clean out debris. the point of the curly cue would be used to inspect for cracks otr defects in the cannon. by placing a ball of wax onto point and making impression of defect. oakum was used on ships which would require a tool like mentioned above . it would be very good if this is something linked to ships,.dating it would be very good also. it might be enough evidance for me to obtain the permit i have long sought after from the state of massachusetts. i believe that this might be very important to identify. if this does pertain to a ship then the next mystery would be is why is it here where i found it. http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/source/is3/is3e.htm this was sent to me kiddrock33

i think this might be it. Great job Kidd

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL. That came to mind, too, from the shape. They were inserted up the nose after fracturing the sinus bones to extract the brain. Haven't seen a mummy with a 42" nose . . . crocodile? :D

Doubt you could balance a wax pellet on the curled end and have enough "purchase" to press it sideways into the bore.

Next question would be construction. Is it iron or steel or some other metal? Where was it found (looks in too good a shape to have been in the soil very long). Is the handle welded or pinned on by forging? Drawn out of the same blank as the tip? Gas welded to seperate rod?

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannon cleaning tool, deck gun maybe. in theory

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there was any mining in the area
possible its used for pulling dud dynamite charges

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
gypsyheart said:
Yes....I think Savant nailed it....looks like that pic....

Hey! Make up your mind. I was siding with the glass blowing theory.

I did that this past Christmas. Great fun and keeps you warm too.

I think the glass was like 2000+ degrees.

Pretty Ornaments.

Burt

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
wildrider said:
gypsyheart said:
Yes....I think Savant nailed it....looks like that pic....

Hey! Make up your mind. I was siding with the glass blowing theory.

I did that this past Christmas. Great fun and keeps you warm too.

I think the glass was like 2000+ degrees.

Pretty Ornaments.

Burt

Well I thought it looked exactly like the pouty....then I saw that sword pic.....what can I say.... :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread