I Bought 1000 uncleaned ancient coins and found lots of gold and silver!

GTI2000

Mar 2, 2007
Terrebonne,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2000

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,045

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Dunno about whos on the coin i just want to know where u found a lot of coins that has all that in it. if you dont mind me asking that is.

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

I'm finding this a little hard to believe, knowing the value of Gold Roman Coins. I can believe the Silver ones got passed over but I would love to see the Gold ones posted?

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
That one is an AE3 of Gratian with "GLORIA ROMANORVM" reverse. Looks like it is from Siscia (where the Vetrantio AE3 was struck :) ). You certainly did not get gold in the uncleaned lots although you are very likely to have a silver coin or two. I have found a few silver coins in uncleaned lots although they were fully encrusted. My best silver find in uncleaned was a legionary denarius of Marc Antony. I was shocked to see it appear from under the crust! Rule of thumb -> Silver can happen..gold won't!

Exact attribution of your coin:

Ruler: Gratian
Obverse: DN GRATIANVS PF AVG
Bust Type: Pearl Diadem Curiassed
Reverse: GLORIA RO-MANORVM
Exergue Gamma SISC
Reverse Left Field: S
Reverse Right Field: D
Mint: Siscia
Attribution: RIC IX Siscia 14c, type xiii
Denomination: AE3
Date Struck: 367-375
On Wildwinds.com?:yes
R.I.C. Rarity: Common

Here is a picture of a very similar coin only it does not have the "S" in the reverse left field.
Gunner

Attachments

• _siscia_RIC_014cXI.jpg
    _siscia_RIC_014cXI.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 880
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GTI2000

GTI2000

Mar 2, 2007
Terrebonne,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2000
So far i only found 5 gold coins although not roman but possibly midevil 3-4mm across pencil eraser size all coins were purchased out of germany as a mixed lot of ancients even had a couple chinese cash coins and about 1 cup of dirt packed in the bag. it all came from a website called www.craigslist.org.

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTI2000 said:
So far i only found 5 gold coins although not roman but possibly midevil 3-4mm across pencil eraser size all coins were purchased out of germany as a mixed lot of ancients even had a couple chinese cash coins and about 1 cup of dirt packed in the bag. it all came from a website called www.craigslist.org.

How about a pic of the gold coins?

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything may be possible, but very, very doubtful that someone would overlook an actual gold coin, maybe silver, but certainly not gold.

Mistakes do indeed happen, but I can't imagine anybody overlooking a gold coin and tossing it aside into a bulk lot sale.

At any rate, I hope it IS gold - beautiful coins you bought.

NS

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Felinepeachy said:
This is what I've been told. Sometimes in uncleaned lots the seller will throw in a few gold coins called Indian Fanams, to keep the buyer coming back. You still have to be careful because brass can be very shiney and they can try to deceive you with that. Here's a pic of a gold fanam.

My thoughts exactly, I thought they would be Fanams, lets wait to see if we are right?

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
shelltox said:
How did you get them so clean?

On the "gold found" thing, it is very likely that cheap tiny fanams were thrown into the lot (I have heard of this being done before to add 'salt'). Gold does not corrode and will not become encrusted as it rests in the soil. For example, if I buried this solidus of Valens in my backyard, 10,000 years from now it will look the same as it did the day I buried it. It may have slight oxidation due to slight impurities in the gold; however, it will not become encrusted.

Gunner

Attachments

• 351ValensSolidusGC.jpg
    351ValensSolidusGC.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 726
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GTI2000

GTI2000

Mar 2, 2007
Terrebonne,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2000
I took the coins to a dealer today and he called them fanams as well. funny you mentioned getting salted he did to. he gave me the name of the person he buys his coins from and for every 500 coins he gets a 1/10oz gold eagle.might try it...anyways my fanams aren't as clean as Felinepeachy's will post a pic as soon as tommorrow there still bathing in olive oil...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GTI2000

GTI2000

Mar 2, 2007
Terrebonne,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2000
Meanwhile ANGELS FOUND although after about 50 pics i realized angels dont like there picture taken. here they are best i could do.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 734
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Ruler: Constans
Obverse: CONSTAN-S PF AVG
Bust Type: Rosette Draped & Curiassed
Reverse: VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN
Exeruge: dot epsilon SIS dot
City/Mint: Siscia
Attribution: RIC VIII Siscia 185
R.I.C. Rarity: Common 2
Size: 16-17 mm
Denomination: "AE4"

Gunner

Attachments

• cn014.jpg
    cn014.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
A typical lot of 1000 "uncleaned" coins will look like this.

Gunner

Attachments

• uncleaned coin lot example.jpg
    uncleaned coin lot example.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like it could be fun when I don't have time to get out and detect. How much does a typical group sell for and where would you recommend purchasing a group of uncleaned coins?

Thanks
NJ

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
N.J.THer said:
Sounds like it could be fun when I don't have time to get out and detect. How much does a typical group sell for and where would you recommend purchasing a group of uncleaned coins?

Thanks
NJ

Very good question. One key is KNOWING the seller. As I am sure you are aware, Ebay is a minefield for thieves so make sure the seller has PERFECT feedback (and alot of it too). 1000 coins will run anywhere from 700-1100.00 U.S. dependent upon seller reputation and whether or not the actual coins are pictured or not. I have a few personal contacts. Not sure if they are still selling the big uncleaned coin lots or not as I stopped buying uncleaned coins a couple years ago. PM me if you'd like them.

Gunner

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions