iron wheel w/spokes

R

ranger ricky

wanting to know if there is a site that identify's old iron wheels found one today with spokes heavey area where the axel would go, about wheel borrow size, the outter rim had a small knob ever spot where the spoke would attach to the rim.

its an implament wheel of a sort but would like to date it, doubel checked and only could find one, corn, tobacco, IM asssuming some type of setter. hope for a sight to id it thanks if u know

T

TreasureTales

Would be sooooo much easier to help if there was a picture to go with the written description.

2702_jpg.jpg

OR this one maybe?
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/charmingandcheap/item/5224

Upvote 0

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows
Just a guess but it sounds like a wheel on a horse drawn scycle mower or some device, as it is pulled it drives a chain to..do something.

Would need a pic to determine more.

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Wheelbarrow sized would be a bit small for a sigkle mower,I believe.
We had a sulky type moldboard plow with a trailing wheel about that size.The spokes penetrated the rim and were riveted with a round head.

Of course,a picture and some dimensions might give a better clue to it's idenity.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

im trying to get a pic in dont give up just yet

Attachments

• whlhos.jpg
    whlhos.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 623
  • whlhos.jpg
    whlhos.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 596
  • whlhos.jpg
    whlhos.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

perhaps this will be a picture i need to post

Attachments

• wehl.jpg
    wehl.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

kyhills I like the moose.

Your tape measure is impossible to read, so we still don't know the diameter of the wheel. I've seen iron wheels like this on planters, as you said originally. Which planter it's from is dependent on the diameter of the wheel and if any numbers or words are on it anywhere. But, I must add this, now that you are becoming a whiz on the computer, maybe YOU will tell US which planter had this wheel????!!!!!

It's called RESEARCH, friend. C'mon, you can do it. You did the photo, you can do this too. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

I think the spokes are all there. I also think that a wagon wheel would be wooden with an iron rim. We need more info. It appears to be quite stout (strong) so maybe it was used for something other than a planter??

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty beefy axle hub. Looks like maybe 18" based on the Jeep rims in the background.

I'd say towed wagon or cart. Possibly a towed planter or even the pivoting "road" wheels for a ground engaging implement like a cultivator or harrow. Had to move them by tractor or horse even where you didn't want to tear up the soil and the larger ones had lowerable wheels.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions