IRS seeks to rein in tax-exempt groups after Tea Party targeting scandal

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Dave44:

First of all, personal Federal income taxes are at the lowest rates they've been in decades. The top 1% (based on AGI) - heck, the top 5%, pay a marginal tax rate of less than 25%. Half the corporations in America pay no Federal income tax each year. How much lower can their taxes get? Should the government send them money? More corporate welfare?

Half the Federal income tax returns show an AGI of less than $40,000 per year. The problem in America isn't that taxes are too high. Wages are too low.

You skipped the whole messy minimum wage thing Mr. Kennedy fought for.

As for President Kennedy, how about some data? What were the personal and corporate tax rates at the time - and what did President Kennedy propose as new rates?

The American economy did quite well in the 1950's. Many middle-class families enjoyed a good life with one wage earner. There were good, well-paying jobs. Many of them union. Many workers had defined benefit retirement programs. The GI Bill (another pesky Federal government program) provided college education for many - often for the first family member to attend higher education. Ditto for home ownership. The Federal government funded the vast Interstate highway system. And more.

While the highest Federal income tax rate was what - over 90%?

Why can't two working people today provide the same life for their children one worker could in the 1950s or 1960s?

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Why can't two working people today provide the same life for their children one worker could in the 1950s or 1960s?

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
Simple answer. Because those two working people are supporting their children, and the children of fat lazy people who don't feel like working, and those fat lazy people. You know, those folks who voted for your guy... I've got an ingrown toenail. Where do I sign up for disability ? Seriously man, I have to commend you for finally admitting that the "change" we were promised isn't working and was really just the same old song & dance. Hell I don't even belong to any particular party. I think the whole lot of them should be fired. Voting for the guy who sucks the least is getting old.. This should make you happy though. Gun confiscation in NYC has begun.. That should make you proud to be an American... Happy Thanksgiving. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ns-new-york-sending-gun-confiscation-notices/

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find out that the woman who knows more than anybody about the scandal at the IRS has announced (via her attorney) that she’s going to plead the 5th so as not to incriminate herself in the illegal activity at the IRS - Pretty easy to see...............

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
NHBandit:

Simple. And wrong.

If what you claim were true, the Federal income tax rates would have increased from the 1950s and 1960s to today.

They have gone down.

You can try to demonize the poor. I'm not buying it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
TheRingFinder:

Most recent information I have seen is that one group was denied tax-exempt status. It was a progressive one.

One group had tax-exempt status revoked. It was a progressive one.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
NHBandit:

Simple. And wrong.

If what you claim were true, the Federal income tax rates would have increased from the 1950s and 1960s to today.

They have gone down.

You can try to demonize the poor. I'm not buying it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
I'm not demonizing the poor. I agree there are lots of folks who legitimately need help. But... do you deny that there are also lots of people who are able to work but simply don't feel like it if they can get a free ride ? Do you deny that the number of people getting some sort of government help is at an all time high ? Do you do all your shopping online and have never witnessed the 20 something year old overweight couples with the equally overweight kids who appear to be perfectly capable of working pushing 3 carts of groceries through the supermarket and towing 7 kids behind them on the same day that food stamps come out ? Do you deny that many of those families have been doing this all of their adult lives and have never held down a real job ? What part of the country do you live in that you can't see what's going on ? What is your answer for the fact that the average family can't enjoy the same standard of living that was enjoyed in the 50s & 60s ? These were your words. How about you back that up by telling us WHY you think it's that way ? Who's fault is it and how do we fix it ? You love to try to debunk any comments made by those you don't see eye to eye with but you offer no solutions. Much like the empty suit you folks put in the White house.

Last edited:

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Squeeze the middle class in order to give more money to Iran.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that all of the lefts arguments can be put into the simplest of terms. It helps them to rationalize their beliefs. How many ways and how many things are you and corporations taxed now as opposed to the 50s? What do you think the taxes are on your phone bill, house, car, every single thing you purchase and anything you keep? It is disingenuous at best to think like the left,, they can't wrap their collective head around the true problem because their leaders have made it too complicated for them to understand. Government tentacles are everywhere.

Funny, they give an example that there are a hundred answers answers for,, then their eyes glaze over and they start complaining your "facts are short on facts", Or you're "twisting and spinning".

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The IRS is the private army Obama spoke of and said he needed if elected in 09. We Americans should have been paying more attention.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I ask a small number of simple, easy to understand, legitimate questions of the book dude in response to his comments and I get no reply. Here's my surprised look.....

Attachments

• Surprised-Look-108071424804.jpeg
    Surprised-Look-108071424804.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 97

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a push at the last Australian federal election a few months ago by some of the minor parties to remove tax free status for religions.
They should do that in the US as well. Look at how much tax the IRS would now be able to claim back. And especially the multibillion $ companies owned by churches that are tax free as well because they are owneed by church. For example, SANITARIUM is tax free because it is owned by the 7 Day Adventist Church.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic posts will be removed

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some appear to have a problem understanding.....

Keep thread on topic, please stop posting off topic posts...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We find out that the woman who knows more than anybody about the scandal at the IRS has announced (via her attorney) that she’s going to plead the 5th so as not to incriminate herself in the illegal activity at the IRS - Pretty easy to see...............

Could you post a link that states she knows more than anybody about the scandal.

As well could you post a link that shows proof that the activity at the IRS was illegal and not just the IRS doing its job of looking for tax cheats? ( i agree that it sure looks like the IRS did something very wrong here. But as of today that's just an opinion. if you've got proof please post it)

And you are right, it is pretty easy to see- why she's pleading the 5th. That's usually the smartest legal move in a witch hunt. Certainly she is doing so on the advice of council.

Unfortunately, our republican led congress isn't looking for truth. They are looking for butts to bag. Which is a shame for all of us.

You have to look at congressional legal proceedings as municipal court on steroids. You've got a bunch of people running the show who bought their power, usually aren't the sharpest tools, and run a rigged proceeding with an extorted outcome.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think only your politics should be promoted by tax exempt political action groups, you are probably republican/tea party. I personally think that tax exempt status should be denied for anything even remotely resembling political activism, right or left, or anything in between!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
UncleMatt:

I think we should drain the swamp and publicly fund Federal political campaigns. Last night Mark Shields pointed out in 2012 $470,000,000 was donated to Federal election campaigns by 100 people.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UncleMatt:

I think we should drain the swamp and publicly fund Federal political campaigns. Last night Mark Shields pointed out in 2012 $470,000,000 was donated to Federal election campaigns by 100 people.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Who are the 100? That is as important as the amount. More info needed.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Dave44:

I don't agree with you because people don't donate almost $5,000,000 to political campaigns without wanting something in return.

Additionally, now that 504(c)(4)'s can work on elections and keep their donor lists secret, we don't know who is contributing to many campaigns. The Citizens United decision contemplated full disclosure. We hardly have that today.

When we had full disclosure and campaign contribution limits, it was a different ball game. I don't know how much experience you have in politics. Years ago a veteran of many campaigns told me that before there were contribution limits in San Francisco, a dozen or so people would get together and pick the next mayor. With absolute contribution limits, candidates had to actively campaign and the people had a much stronger voice in the outcome.

Regarding my post, in the words of the great Casey Stengel, "You can look it up!"

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44:

I don't agree with you because people don't donate almost $5,000,000 to political campaigns without wanting something in return.

Additionally, now that 504(c)(4)'s can work on elections and keep their donor lists secret, we don't know who is contributing to many campaigns. The Citizens United decision contemplated full disclosure. We hardly have that today.

When we had full disclosure and campaign contribution limits, it was a different ball game. I don't know how much experience you have in politics. Years ago a veteran of many campaigns told me that before there were contribution limits in San Francisco, a dozen or so people would get together and pick the next mayor. With absolute contribution limits, candidates had to actively campaign and the people had a much stronger voice in the outcome.

Regarding my post, in the words of the great Casey Stengel, "You can look it up!"
Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Lol. Sure. It doesn't pass the smell test. How much did the Bo get in anonymous donations, from how many countries? If you guys want campaign donations limits you can bet there is a nefarious angle to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread