Is a pig rock just a trail marker?

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
nicholas
a pic would get you a better response, but kenworthy calls them trail markers, but
I do have one, where the pig is giving a hint to the size of the cache or richness of of the mine,
impossible to tell without a pic however..
hope this helps
rangler

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A pig marker means.... "follow his nose to where the bacon is cooking" BOOYA! Just kidding....

Rangler: just a question. Why would it be nessessary to take the time to fashion a marker to give an indication as to the size of the cache or richness of the mine?

What difference is it if the cache was a saddle bag of ore or 50 casks of refined bars? Either way its a cache and meant to be picked up right? And if a mine is a mine, does it matter if you get 50lbs or ore or 5000lbs. Its still gold ore!

just want some clarification to understand a little bit better. Thanks

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been meaning to post pictures of this rock for some time. I am not sure if this is natural or man made. Not sure if it is man made if it is a trail marker or something else. Feedback is appreciated. I have providded a close up and a view of the surrounding area as well on both subjects.
Nicholas

Attachments

• 100_7715.JPG
    100_7715.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,453
  • 100_7719.JPG
    100_7719.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 100_7727.JPG
    100_7727.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,414
  • 100_7723.JPG
    100_7723.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,521

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookcliff:
These photos sure show a LOT of overburden at the base of those cliffs that are just too much to have come from those tiny cliffs.
That large standing pointer stone in the first photo is man-placed. That material is unique to some place else. When the sun is shining from the opposite direction, it should make that vertical piece really show up; as well as that arrowhear pointer that is lying flat, pointing to the vertical one.
That large figure in the 3rd photo looks like either a "g o" or a "j" overlaid on a "O". The "j" might actually be a fishhook symbol that "pulls" you in the direction to go.
A "g" and "O" would give the value of 26 and a "j" and "O" would be 29. If the figure is a "j" overlaid onto an "O" and is also a fishhook sign, it would be "pulling" the observer in the indicated direction for a distance measurement of 29 units.
In the second photo, at about the 11 o'clock position from the upright pointer, is a black church cross on the top of the cliff, at the lip.

EDIT: In the 4th photo, that hook is pulling you to that large area with the big rock pieces. That looks like a large "fill" area as when someone covers up an operation of some kind.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bill,
The overburden may look wrong, but to the area in question it is correct.
the color is due to decomposed Mancos shale, this layer is under the hard sand stone cap.
the layers under the shale include a coal seam that runs for miles.
Bookclif is in my area and has found part of the Dominguez group's trail coming off the North side of the Grand Mesa.
The trail was significant as one of the Grand failures to find the westward trail used by the miners to reach the West coast.

Bookclif,
The date on your trail is around 1779

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Thom. That is an interesting bit of historical info. Sure sounds like a very interesting area.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bookcliff took his user name from te row of cliffs that run from GreenRiver UT to Pallisade CO.
I am fortunate to live in this part of CO too.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks lovnit. Looks like they come in different sizes and shapes.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
lovnit,

Nice pic, your pig seems alert and sniffing out the trail.

Here is one of mine. Sometimes you get the whole hog.

Oddrock

Attachments

• Fields road and more signs 065 (640x480).jpg
    Fields road and more signs 065 (640x480).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,783

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
lovnit said:
I have seen these in different shapes and sizes but they have all went in the direction of the nose.

I tend to agree that the nose usually knows. Sometimes the whole hog points to the hole hog (hoyo).

Oddrock

Attachments

• Fields road and more signs 024 (640x480).jpg
    Fields road and more signs 024 (640x480).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,663

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I wonder if a bottle nose on a hog would mean something slightly different than a regular pig.

Hi bookcliff...nice to see you.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you desertmoons and hi. You must remember me from ALT.

This is the first pig rock that I ever saw. I had heard about them and was driving down a dirt road when my buddy noticed this pig rock and I hit the brakes immediately. Then I wondered why I never saw it before. My eyes were opened so to speak. This is on a Spanish trail.

Nick

Attachments

• 100_3160 TM Pigrock.JPG
    100_3160 TM Pigrock.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,872

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Yep at alt. Good to see you still out there.
Here is one for the collections.

Attachments

• I7791hog.jpg
    I7791hog.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,057
OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another picture related to post #3 above. I was looking at it the other day and noticed some kind of animal by it. Is that like a salamander, pig or what?
Nick

Attachments

• 100_7722.JPG
    100_7722.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,170

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I would tend to think pig for the animal. The shadow sign on one the rocks seems to confirm it

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
There is a really worn out looking turtle looking at it Brian,
will have to go back to the top and get a clear look at this sign to see what exacly it is,
can't tell from this view.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank all of you for your feedback. It is helpful and appreciated. I have been to this site twice and it is a steep hillside. Hunting therse Spanish treasures or KGC or whatever is getting scary.

I was looking at the pictures I took here and found a couple more that seem to have some items of interest. I cropped them to get to what I thought was the interesting parts. If some one wants the full image I can email them. I still haven't mastered completely the are of editing pictures to post here. It's hard for me to get the resolution just right and they only allow a certain size picture to post here. Anyway I thought these two items stood out and are not there by accident. Speaking of accident, I don't want one and appreciate the warnings. I don't need a whole mountain on top of me or some nasty chemicals in or on my body.
Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• 100_8016.JPG
    100_8016.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • 100_8023.JPG
    100_8023.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,199

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ris said:
OK, the reason I'm seeing both good and bad things is : everything under the cliffs is a false site. There is a good trail in the bottom and one deathtrapped one leading you up thru to the top. The top plateau is where you need to focus on, but you should come in from a different way than the canyon bottom.

That large, black "T" at the lip, in photo #7719, could be giving the "45" course change from that large upright pointer at the base of the cliff. Now, the question is do you go 45 degrees from the compass course represented by that large pointer or do you go northeast FROM the pointer? I don't see a large "X" by the "T" saying go to the left 45 degrees from the "T", but there may be one I don't see.

EDITED: Corrected the number for the photo. It's the photo with bookcliff in the left side.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, in pic 8016 it is just curious that the rocks appear to be arranged in a circle with one big one in the middle.

In 8023 the fact that there are rocks at all on the clay hill is curious to me. The only thing or first thing that comes to mind is that it looks like an "H".

Oh. The individual in the picture is not me. He is much younger. That's my cousin's son-in-law.
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread