Is a pig rock just a trail marker?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
There are a huge number of natural "traps" that shw in all pictures.
What you have here are a bunch of signs designed to be read and followed from a distance.
tere are no indicators of side trails yet, and Spanish didn't trap a regular trail.
to harm the king's men was as bad as to lose the quint to bandits.
each punishable by the pain of Spain, one could be replaced, the other...

Traps are not as common as we think they are.
AND they are usually related to a very large deposit
or a very special one.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help and comments. I'm not making sense of it either but I will see things differently next time I get down that way and I will be on the look out more in this whole area. I will continue to learn about Spanish signs including at this location. Frankly though I have some leads on coins that I will be checking out also. There are advantages to the coins. Keep teaching me. I will try to learn. I can see some of the signs on these threads but some of them leave me clueless.
Nick

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookcliff said:
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help and comments. I'm not making sense of it either but I will see things differently next time I get down that way and I will be on the look out more in this whole area. I will continue to learn about Spanish signs including at this location. Frankly though I have some leads on coins that I will be checking out also. There are advantages to the coins. Keep teaching me. I will try to learn. I can see some of the signs on these threads but some of them leave me clueless.
Nick

I think you may be trying too hard. Just relax and look for familiar shapes in sections or linework. The line work will lead you to seeing the whole shape. THEN, try to determine if the shape is natural or man-made.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lovnit said:
Here is another pig that has writing carvings on the left hand lower side. This one is all by itself at least a hundred yards to any other markers but you do follow the way the nose points.
Lovnit,
I was born among those bushes around your picture. Where are you at?

Edit: (11 11 2011) Thanks lovnit.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Book, could there be sun signs on that strong upright? It likes it,from afar. I think that particular curved upright... one day you will be at the right time and right angle (walking along the trail) and it will suddenly look like an animal..perhaps a rabbit's ear...who knows.

OP
OP
bookcliff

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertmoons
I have some shadows here on a satellite image. I can see one that interests me. Also near the top on the right is a line of rocks. That looks curious to me but I have no clue if it means anything. If someone has any ideas I am listening. This is a satellite view of the area of the "turtle" rock or cairn that I have posted. The cairn is about 2/3 of the photo from the left and about 1/4 from the bottom just above the shadows. It looks like a short white line on the image angled down to the right about 45 degrees. About right in the middle of the image is the shadow that interests me. It looks like a guy in a cowboy hat. I also think I see a couple of hoyos. This image is dated 12/31/2005 so you can reference the date for the shadows. And it looks like the middle of the day or close to high noon. I believe there is another cowboy hat in the shadows and I see a couple of "V"s.

Don't tell Old Dog I am doing this. He cringes when I say Google Earth when talking about Spanish signs. Sorry, Old Dog, I just had to post this. I do see an eye catcher to the right of the cowboy hat.
Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• Turtle Shadows GE Edit.png
    Turtle Shadows GE Edit.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 769

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
desertmoons said:
I wonder if a bottle nose on a hog would mean something slightly different than a regular pig.

Hi bookcliff...nice to see you.
DM

I think the two examples I showed may be representing "hedgehogs" rather that tradition swine.
Here is an example of a traditional Hog rock.

Oddrock

Attachments

• 011 (640x512).jpg
    011 (640x512).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,262

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Don't tell Old Dog I am doing this. He cringes when I say Google Earth when talking about Spanish signs. Sorry, Old Dog, I just had to post this. I do see an eye catcher to the right of the cowboy hat."

I see the guy in the cowboy hat, riding a dragon. But what is Batman doing following the guy in the cowboy hat. :laughing7:

I thing Old dog will help if you don`t step on his tail too much. This hobby is so much fun. :coffee2:

I think this is what rangler warns us about.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
The only pig profile that I've seen was a trail marker between cache sites, sites were 2.5 miles apart with other markers in the trail, mine was only meant to be viewed from one direction its meaning as I interpreted it as leaving the end of the route, if it can be viewed from both sides then the trail can be followed both directions. The symbols / marks seem to be about 100 / 200 yards apart on a route

Twistedpistol

Feb 12, 2022
These two were next to each other

Attachments

• 06DE32ED-CAE7-407C-9547-A9D9EE63AC89.jpeg
    06DE32ED-CAE7-407C-9547-A9D9EE63AC89.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 254CE673-BDD5-4277-85FD-7544F8E96D30.jpeg
    254CE673-BDD5-4277-85FD-7544F8E96D30.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread