Is Ace 250 much better then 150?

rscottbc

Greenie
Mar 6, 2007
BC
I want to get a cheap metal detector most likely one of the Aces. I was looking on the garrett site and compared the 150 to the 250, seems to be just 2 features the 250 has that the 150 doesn't. Those being the Discrimination: GTA Accept / Reject Notch and Pinpointing, Coin Depth Measurement.

For me the pinpointing one if all it does is tell you the depth i don't think i would really need , but whats the Discrimination: GTA Accept / Reject Notch do? do you think that one feature worth the extra $100?

Upvote 0

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
The pin point and notch features are WELL worth the extra bucks, and
if you use the pinpoint method talked about here on tnet , you'll be
very glad you went with the 250. Pin point mode is also excellent for
sizing a target before you dig , especially those mashed drink cans.

Doozis

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Have to agree, you will be sorry if you don't spend the extra bucks and go with the 250. The pinpoint feature not only tells you an estimated depth but allows you an easy way to find the target center for more precise digging and recovery. Trying to find the target center without it is a pain. My son has a Tesoro Compadre and that is the big feature that is missed with that machine.

Good luck and HH

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about the 150 but I have a 250 and if the 150 doesn't have the pinpoint feature, in my opinion it's not worth having. Both NC_Horn and doozis hit the nail on the head with their reply and if you're new to metal detecting, I wouldn't even worry about the discrimination notch. Keep it in "all metal" mode and dig up everything. Even if it turns out to be trash, it's good practice and helps to get you familiar with the detector.
Good Luck,
Ed

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
In case nobody noticed, rscottbc lives in BRITISH COLUMBIA!

An Ace 150 0r 250 is NOT what to use in that area, there is way tooo much iron in that soil~!

I owned an Ace 250 and I too live in the heavy iron belt just like rs. He will be lucky if he gets 4 inches on a nickel. Additionally, there is a German site that has tested the 150 and the 250 side-by-side and found litttle if any difference in depth in mild soil, but that is MILD soil and BC has really B-A-D soil! I read and speak German, but people don't need to know it to read the number stats on the site.

rs, you need something that has a decent ground balance on it, otherwise you'll be just like me when I gave mine to my daughter because it performed so poorly in this area. It's one year later and she still hasn't used it. It would work ok in wood chips or sawdust but you will want something else within a day of doing just that.. Get a different detector. Try a low-priced Minelab or Whites, they will work MUCH better here.

Those Garrett aces work very well in the Eastern US, the deep south, Florida, and most of Europe, but as with most Garretts now, they really suck in this (our) soil from the Rocky Mountains westward. It's because there was an (iron) meteor shower some 10,000 years ago in the western N. America Continent. A good detectorist already knows this and someone should have told you already.. Garrett had to upgrade all their high-end detectors with new add-on chips because of the complaints here and other places that have such rotten soil.

If the German site can't easily be found I'll look for it again and post it here.

Good luck

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd pay attention to what Easymoney said about ground conditions. The ACE is a good detector, but the ground balance is fixed. With that said, it's really the pin-point feature that is worth the extra money in my opinion. The fact that it comes with all those notches to customize your hunting program is even better. If you're going to get an ACE and you have that extra money, do get the 250. But do take into consideration the fixed ground balance issue. The 250 might not work very well in your area. Buy from a place that will let you exchange it if it doesn't work out. If there are any MD'ing clubs in your area, try contacting them for advice. I'd simply ask them if they know of anyone using a 250 in the area. This is one of those cases where I'd probably be looking at a machine with manual ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread