Is "Injun" offensive to you?

Are you offended, or do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun"

• Total voters
K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Is "Injun" offensive to you?

stefen said:
"...do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun" when posting..."

Not sure that the penny would be offended, however the term itself is predicial, if not racist. Its no different that using the term; "I jewed him down" or "I was gyped"...both are meant to offend and to be anti-semetic and / or racist.

Now being a white anglo-saxon prostestant (WASP) as many white Americans are classified, many would fall into the name calling and may understand the slights, but have never experienced them.

However, if a person is of American Native origin or other ethnicity, its like being slapped in the face.

To me, there is a level of tolerance that is acceptable in today's society...and if you call me or the other guy a name thinking its acceptable, you may find out otherwise...

Recently, I had a contractor walk into my office for a project conference and the first words out of his mouth were; "I'm dealing with this jew-boy...". He was fired on the spot. End of conversation.

I'm offended. You called me a WASP.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Montana Elf said:
Conducting a quick research of the term "Injun" returned to me time and again what I posted above: "... that the term was derogatory from it's inception." and couldnt find ONE note that stated what PBK wrote, which is that the term: "...is simply a phonetic spelling of a colloquial or dialectical pronunciation of the word Indian."

I didn't realize that I had failed to respond to Jim's comment. With many apologies, I do so now.

Injun
Injun colloq. and dial. U.S. form of INDIAN. XVII (Ingin, Engiane, later Indjon).
From: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology | Date: 1996 | Author: T. F. Hoad |© 1996, Oxford University Press .

I hope that this citation will suffice to support my assertion about the word's origin and usage.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

stefen said:
"...do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun" when posting..."

Not sure that the penny would be offended, however the term itself is predicial, if not racist. Its no different that using the term; "I jewed him down" or "I was gyped"...both are meant to offend and to be anti-semetic and / or racist.

Now being a white anglo-saxon prostestant (WASP) as many white Americans are classified, many would fall into the name calling and may understand the slights, but have never experienced them.

However, if a person is of American Native origin or other ethnicity, its like being slapped in the face.

To me, there is a level of tolerance that is acceptable in today's society...and if you call me or the other guy a name thinking its acceptable, you may find out otherwise...

Recently, I had a contractor walk into my office for a project conference and the first words out of his mouth were; "I'm dealing with this jew-boy...". He was fired on the spot. End of conversation.

What do you mean you were "gyped" ?
I am telling :D dang it no one to tell ,libs are out of their office ,honkys have a holiday,wasps at BEE convention,mexies are all ...crap dont know any.....hillbillies are moonshining,dang it just leaves us injuns,

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

PBK said:
Montana Elf said:
Conducting a quick research of the term "Injun" returned to me time and again what I posted above: "... that the term was derogatory from it's inception." and couldnt find ONE note that stated what PBK wrote, which is that the term: "...is simply a phonetic spelling of a colloquial or dialectical pronunciation of the word Indian."

I didn't realize that I had failed to respond to Jim's comment. With many apologies, I do so now.

Injun
Injun colloq. and dial. U.S. form of INDIAN. XVII (Ingin, Engiane, later Indjon).
From: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology | Date: 1996 | Author: T. F. Hoad |© 1996, Oxford University Press .

I hope that this citation will suffice to support my assertion about the word's origin and usage.

Dang PBK!

You coulda' let it go so that I would'nt look TOO stupid! LMAO :tongue3:

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Slingshot said:
I'm Cherokee, and it doesn't bother me a bit! Now when I dig a zinc cent and call it a White Boy, I'll expect the same courtesy!
Thinkin along the same order....just to level the playing field...
Wheaties could now be Whiteys !!

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

jimbob450 said:
Hey Montana, A penny for your thoughts. Jimbob

Deal... an Indian Head Cent?

When I started this topic it was because I kept on reading: "I found an injun" all over T-Net. I understand it's slang... but living in a city full of Native Americans it hit me that it might be an offensive term... her where I live it is.

So I asked...

I appreciated all the responses and am wondering about the 24 percent who actually voted that they were offended. My question now is, are they offended because they are Native American, or because they learned it was a derogatory word through some other medium... like parents, school, teachers, friends... ect.

I hope that was at least worth a Zincoln Cent. :tongue3:

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx

My father was 100% AM Indian and my mom was half Swedes and half German. I never cared if I was called a Injun but I was called a Nazi once and that hurt. I just want to be judged by what I do and who I am, not who my ancestors were. I am proud to be a Indian but more proud to be an American. If you want to offend a Indian call him a blanket a**.
My Indian name
Seldom seen Bob.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

No, but I am not the most politically correct person will find :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no it isnt an I am 1

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Doesn't bother me. I've often wondered the same thing. No matter what you say, it will offend someone, and some folks are looking for reasons to be offended. You can try with all your might, and you're going to offend someone anyway. I don't worry about it. If I know there is someone who truly is hurt by something I can control, I will avoid it. Otherwise, on with life.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the way I look at it You Call a Coin a Injun
How Can you offend that Coin ?

when you get into talking about people
it all depends on the person at the receiving end.
whether they like the person who is saying it or not.

just like another word that gets overused in rap
and on the streets between friends but is
illegal to say in certain circles because of hate crimes
laws.

JonesFromIrmo

Nov 2, 2009

As Native American it doesn't offend me...unless it was meant to be offensive. Everything is said in context, no?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI sorry to be soo late, but it is entirely in the intent---> Ex/

Ivan, ya ole SOB!

Wthout qualifiers, it can be EITHER a compliment or an extreme insult.

I am partly Mohican (long coold winter) and predominently Irish. I often refer to myself as an Injun, or Mick, or hard headed Irisher. heeheheh

Names only bother you if you let them. But I do think that this politically correct thingie is getting to be completely stupid.

Ivan I'll let you guess which is the intent heehheheh

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Ivan is a very good friend of mine, so it is a compliment.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SOB is offensive to me cause y'all didn't know my mom. 'Injun' probably comes from sayin 'Indian' as 'Indun'. Vine Deloria Jr. had somethin to say about natives pronouncin 'indian' like log 'cabin'. I got an AIM card, in relation to the line of work I used to be in. I got the native American Heritage too, but I ain't got the card cause I don't want to be a ward of the Government. Indian is a misnomer anyway. You are a Cherokee, or a Kiowa, or Choctaw, whatever nation you may be. People ask me what I am, and I say "I'm an Ameri-cun". Ain't what they call ya, but what you answer to.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I realize that some posts I will comment on will be old but here goes.
I am part native American, I am not politically correct nor will i ever be. The word has been in use for a long time, as other words now not "right"
If you go to the rez here {Apache} you will be called a white man, and you will be offended or not as the case might be. It will depend on how you will hear and feel the words used.

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt

Squaw, in the region where I live, used to mean wife, but now it used to mean something worse.
Neat how we can change the past. West of here a short ways was "Squaw Creek," but some native American ladies in more recent years became "offended" because squaw means whore, a recent development in the ancient meaning, and the creek was re-named. Not to "Wife Creek" either, because 200 years from now the word wife will have meant whore in the past like squaw did, even though they didn't. This is silly. Injun. Talequah, Cherokee, and Tsa-La-Gi all came from the same word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread