Is it inappropriate to do this?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Saturday I hit a large church rummage sale first thing in the morning. I got there a few minutes early and there was already a line, which I joined. I got to talking with the woman in front of me and at the end of our conversation she told me that her neighborhood was doing their community sale this weekend and she has several boxes of jewelry that she's going to put out, then gave me her address and said I should come check it out.

I started kicking myself for not exchanging #s pretty much immediately after I left, but it was early and I just couldn't think of a good way to ask if I could come see the jewelry early and make her an offer on all of it. My question to you guys is, would it be totally inappropriate for me to stop by her place tomorrow afternoon and ask if that's something she's interested in? Obviously I could just get to the sale early Saturday but one of those scenarios is definitely preferable to the other.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
She gave her number basically as a business venture in getting rid of her jewelry so take the chance, but at an appropriate hour.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply, that's what I was thinking as well.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice guys finish LAST! :tongue3:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop by, she has jewelry she wants to sell and you are a buyer. Not like you are cold knocking.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she gave her address to someone else, that jewelry might already be gone. Around here there is an overabundance of jewelry buyers. They are usually the ones with the worst behavior too, when there is a big pile of jewelry to sort through at a sale. It disgusts me to watch them actually. As for your scenario, I'd go for it, per reasons others have already mentioned. It's appropriate.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with what Swaveab said. She is probably thinking she could get decent money and get rid of it all at once. Go for it! :diamond-ring:

ThirtyDollars

Greenie
Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here so I don't know the OP's gender. If you're a woman, go for it. If you're a man, maybe bring a woman with you to put her mind at ease.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well if she's selling and your buying --the early bird gets the worm...the rest go hungry..

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I think it is what she had in mind. But was probably surprised you did not ask for her # or jump at the chance.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice guys finish LAST! :tongue3:

There's an unfortunate amount of truth to this statement. I'm a fairly passive and non-confrontational person in general. With picking, especially estate sales, you just have to put on your game face. Don't worry about what someone thinks, don't have time. While you're sitting there scratching your head, wondering if it's the right thing to do, the next picker just beat you out!

Funny tangent: I was at the thrift store contemplating a purchase of golf clubs. Another obvious and more assertive picker came up rather quickly behind me and says "oooh those look nice how much are they?!". The old me would have told him how much and continued to waffle. The newer me told him "uh.. a reasonable amount" with a chuckle. He flew right on by while saying "wow, that's very specific".

Another old adage. "There are no friends at an auction!"

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an unfortunate amount of truth to this statement. I'm a fairly passive and non-confrontational person in general. With picking, especially estate sales, you just have to put on your game face. Don't worry about what someone thinks, don't have time. While you're sitting there scratching your head, wondering if it's the right thing to do, the next picker just beat you out!

Funny tangent: I was at the thrift store contemplating a purchase of golf clubs. Another obvious and more assertive picker came up rather quickly behind me and says "oooh those look nice how much are they?!". The old me would have told him how much and continued to waffle. The newer me told him "uh.. a reasonable amount" with a chuckle. He flew right on by while saying "wow, that's very specific".

Another old adage. "There are no friends at an auction!"

I'm sure you deftly positioned yourself between him and the golf clubs while answering :skullflag:

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went by Friday afternoon, and it was totally fine, like everyone said it would be. The jewelry was all overpriced costume, and when I asked about a box of maybe 10 cut and uncut geodes she said she didn't know because she hadn't looked them up yet :/ BUT I'm still glad I went because you really never know what you're going to find. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Business is war and War is hell.
All's fair in love and War.

You were given an opportunity, Take it. Do not think twice about the attempt. I always politely ask If I can preview a sale. Sometimes it is yes, sometimes no. But I always try and that is as fair as helping an elderly person on the bus or washing their car for them.
There is etiquette During a busy sale and that is pretty self explanatory. If it is in someones hands you must wait. The second they set it down, Whamo snatch it up their loss. I once had a certain man latch onto a piece I was holding and tried to rip it from me. That in those circles is enough to get you knocked out by some. I am over 6 feet tall and 250 LBS This guy was thin and 5 8" Was shocking. He kept pulling. I gave him 3 seconds to let go or I was going to break his fingers. He Let go. When etiquette is broken this is a very fair tactic :)

Happy hunting All !!!!!!

Yesterday (Saturday) was a bust. I did get one heavy footed Rogers Tray for $2 But it was slim pickins at the sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions