Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533681320.995007.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533681381.116604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533681398.688882.jpg
Just dug at old homestead in the woods. Do the holes mean it is disarmed?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm saying yes but be careful with it.

Upvote 0

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Primer is missing and it looks like there is a hole drilled through the side right where your pinky finger is. I'd say you're good to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Primer is missing and it looks like there is a hole drilled through the side right where your pinky finger is. I'd say you're good to go.

Thx. I find live hunting bullets all the time in the woods, this baby would take down a deer no problem. Thx for the insight on safety.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like it has a primer.

it's inert. as stated, it's been cross drilled and has the primer removed. It's a .50 cal. round

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Some .50 caliber bullets have armor piercing tips, which can exploded under high impact. I found a live .50 caliber bullet a few months ago, and was warned on here about that. Very cool find though, those bullets are huge!!
Also, Is there another number after the "4", because most of the WWII era ones have the date on the head stamp in the form of the last two digits of the year (such as "43").

Last edited:
Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some .50 caliber bullets have armor piercing tips, which can exploded under high impact. I found a live .50 caliber bullet a few months ago, and was warned on here about that. Very cool find though, those bullets are huge!!
Also, Is there another number after the "4", because most of the WWII era ones have the date on the head stamp in the form of the last two digits of the year (such as "43").

W/ regard to the headstamp, not neccesarily! Acccording to here (best site for 50 headstamps i know, kudos) it is a Frankford arsenal 1944

WWII 50 Caliber Headstamps

Also nobody cared in these day if the die didnot struck 100%. They were going for effect rather than beauty!

I wholeheartedly agree with in case of doubt not tampering with any projectiles above infantry calibre! There are phosphorous, APE, API and dozens of other nasty things to loose life limp fingers eyesight or burn down your house after a drying period. Projectiles alone w/o cartridge are also difficult to decide on first glance from the various 20mms and w/ 20mm the trouble really starts...

It may ot may not be illegal also in your jurisdiction to merely possess an incendiary or explosive projectile, regardless of age.

As said before this one is a drill or presentation cartridge and save to have, but when in doubt, rebury with bullet down.

Greets namxat

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread