What's new

Is it possible to date this?

mpro1

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
89
Reaction score
91
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
Measures apprx. 1.25"X1.375 made out of brass.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0574.webp
    DSCN0574.webp
    43 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCN0575.webp
    DSCN0575.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 555
No, it's not possible to date it, especially with no other information.

Too many circumstances have to be known. Unless it came of dated equipment with a name or year it can be assumed to date within the last 300 to 100 years based on corrosion, or newer if you live in the north east.

Just my opinion... nice old buckle though!

Did you find anything else around the same area?

Do you know the history of the area?
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
No, it's not possible to date it, especially with no other information.

Too many circumstances have to be known. Unless it came of dated equipment with a name or year it can be assumed to date within the last 300 to 100 years based on corrosion, or newer if you live in the north east.

Just my opinion... nice old buckle though!

Did you find anything else around the same area?

Do you know the history of the area?


Yes the area was active farmland dating back to the 1650's. Many historical homes/barns still stand in the area. I didn't find anything else appearing as old. I don't have much experience with relic hunting. I was curious is there a good way to differentiate between the old and say more modern relics? Also it was fairly deep 6-8"
 
Upvote 0
most likely 1800's
 
Upvote 0
I'll have to go along with Montana Jim. Even with the extra info any date would just be a guess. Monty
 
Upvote 0
The Guy's above have your buckle right. :thumbsup: It would be like this one (close).........& you can look through that part of the site to see others like it dateing 19th century.And it don't hurt to ask when not sure about somthing. ;D You could have something real cool. :thumbsup: Just for instance looking in my finds tring to find one like you have I found out about this little guy. :headbang:
Yours or very close in size & shape..........
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=26433&cat=175
One I had dug & not even paid it no mind other then I had it with my older stuff so was dug somtime awhile back 8) .........................(Circa 1500 - 1650)
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=3802&cat=175
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0015.webp
    IMG_0015.webp
    104.2 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0016.webp
    IMG_0016.webp
    88.7 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0
:read2:

As it's Brass...1900s, if it were Copper Alloy, then earlier.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
The Guy's above have your buckle right. :thumbsup: It would be like this one (close).........& you can look through that part of the site to see others like it dateing 19th century.And it don't hurt to ask when not sure about somthing. ;D You could have something real cool. :thumbsup: Just for instance looking in my finds tring to find one like you have I found out about this little guy. :headbang:
Yours or very close in size & shape..........
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=26433&cat=175
One I had dug & not even paid it no mind other then I had it with my older stuff so was dug somtime awhile back 8) .........................(Circa 1500 - 1650)
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=3802&cat=175
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Thanks for the info.....def looks a lot like the one in the second link.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
mpro1 said:
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

As it's Brass...1900s, if it were Copper Alloy, then earlier.

SS


How could i tell the difference? Hits on 10c on the ace 250
One of the easiest ways of telling, In the 18th century, brass buckles incorporated iron bars, chapes and tongues, but yours is missing I see, Brass buckles (an alloy of Copper and Zinc) were easier to make because of the lower temperatures required, I gave the 1900s date because you had already said it's a brass buckle, so it proberbly dates to the last couple of hundred years. I should have just said Bronze (an alloy of Copper and Tin) rather than copper alloy, as both (Brass and Bronze) are both a copper alloy.
Plus it also looks exactally like the D shaped Harness buckles dating from the 1900s, and it looks nothing like the Bronze single looped buckles that I have, I think Timekiller was trying to make more out of my reply :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this?
Replies
8
Views
558
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom