Is it worth keeping

Jellybone

Nov 21, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Walmart Special 505
I have found so much Silver Solder (slag). It rings in the 10 cent to 1.00 range depending on the size. I read on a website that Solder can be up to 76% Silver. I have found and trashed so much of this! Even in sizes of a cow patty. Most of it is found at old farms or sites over 100 years old...So tell me experts...should I keep it? I have trashed so much of this and I am starting to wonder. Is there people who take this and melt out the impurities? Is it worth keeping?

Upvote 0
I've found quite a bit of it myself, and just like you, I've tossed it out.
I have no idea of the silver quantity, or how to extract it, but hopefully
someone on the forum will.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Mike

Are you sure its not melted aluminium cans or lead-alloy? Many are burnt in fires & look like silver slag.

I take all my trash and put it in a 5gal. bucket (Still not full from 4 years) and then take it to the recycle/scrap yard for a small profit. With scrap as high as it is, I know people making $1000's a week from it. ??? So you do the Earth some good and make a little more money.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Lead on my detector always rings as silver.

I think it`s because it`s a non-ferrous metal like silver.

Here recycled lead goes for 7 cents a pound but i`ve heard of it being as high as 50 cents around the port areas.

CRUSADER said:
Are you sure its not melted aluminium cans or lead-alloy? Many are burny in fires & look like silver slag.
Good thinking...When I posted last nite - had just finished MDing in an area where an old 100 year old barn had burnt down. So much I filled 5 gal bucket about an 2 inches deep. and the other places I have found this molten substance were also very old. Do you know hoe to test this stuff to see what it is?

what about a magnet? lead or silver? I don't have to worry about pull tabs.

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I take all my trash and put it in a 5gal. bucket (Still not full from 4 years) and then take it to the recycle/scrap yard for a small profit. With scrap as high as it is, I know people making $1000's a week from it. ??? So you do the Earth some good and make a little more money.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Great Idea! I am definitely going to start doing this as well. Thanks :)

HH, Mark

Jellybone said:
CRUSADER said:
Are you sure its not melted aluminium cans or lead-alloy? Many are burny in fires & look like silver slag.
Good thinking...When I posted last nite - had just finished MDing in an area where an old 100 year old barn had burnt down. So much I filled 5 gal bucket about an 2 inches deep. and the other places I have found this molten substance were also very old. Do you know hoe to test this stuff to see what it is?

You can get a cheap silver testing kit for about $15.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back