Is the Harbor Freight 9 Function Metal Detector a good beginner detector?

BearMan

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting started with metal detecting and treasure hunting and I am on a tight budget after recently paying for surgery, rehab, and an all terrain wheelchair. I was looking at beginning level metal detectors online and found out that Harbor Freight makes a metal detector for about 60 dollars. I was looking at online reviews and they all seem to be good with many saying it is the best cheap metal detector on the market. Does anyone here have any advice or first hand experience with this specific metal detector? I know some metal detectors can detect the metallic inks on paper money, can this detector do that? And for context for conditions that it may be used is that I live in Arizona so I won't be detecting in water or wet conditions but I will probably be working in hot dry conditions or possibly cold dry conditions.

Upvote 1

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I started with. Its been so long since I used it. I did find some change and some bullets with it so it does work. I did not have the dry conditions you are going to have. I remember the handle being very uncomfortable. I only used it a few times before I was lent a Garrett Ace 250. You can always look for a used detector also. Good luck and happy hunting!

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for, at least most the time. I hope you don't think you'll "strike it rich", but it'll find the same trash, we all find. I bought a used Nokta simplex for $250, and its got features that the Equinox don't, that doesn't mean it's better. Good luck hunting!

OP
OP
B

BearMan

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for, at least most the time. I hope you don't think you'll "strike it rich", but it'll find the same trash, we all find. I bought a used Nokta simplex for $250, and its got features that the Equinox don't, that doesn't mean it's better. Good luck hunting!

Thank you for the advice. I am just looking into finding what I can find with a metal detector

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In this hobby you may want to step it up a little. You may want spend a few hundred. Do a little more research to figure out what you want to look for. Welcome to Treasurenet:hello:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector would be a good detector to start with. I hunted with one for several years, you get about 60 hours operating time on 6 cheap AA batteries, it will get down 6 inches, has an unbelievable discriminator - put it on 10 and just dig quarters, and pinpoints flawlessly. I found several hundred dollars in clad along with some older coins, jewelry, etc. even works in salt water.
i enjoy taking mine out with my buddies who have their expensive units, and I find as much or more than they do, lol.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say go for the Harbor Freight detector if you're cash strapped. You're new to this and the Harbor Freight detector works well enough for you to decide whether you want to stick with detecting as a hobby. If you really get hooked you can always save up for a better detector. Good luck!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of Harbor freights electrical items are junk. But I have never used or know anyone who has used one but if it was me I wouldn't waste my money I would save up or if you use an inferior detector it might turn you off to detecting because it doesn't work well. try and use a good detector before you use something sub standard. There are places that rent detectors try and find one in your area. Also farther down the forum there are supporting vendors that have deals on used detectors you should check these out first.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of Harbor freights electrical items are junk. But I have never used or know anyone who has used one but if it was me I wouldn't waste my money I would save up or if you use an inferior detector it might turn you off to detecting because it doesn't work well. try and use a good detector before you use something sub standard. There are places that rent detectors try and find one in your area. Also farther down the forum there are supporting vendors that have deals on used detectors you should check these out first.

I like your advice about possibly renting a machine, or buying a used detector from one of the supporting vendors. But blowing off the Harbor Freight detector because it's "cheap"?

You should at least try one if you get the opportunity. You might be surprised. I have some limited experience with a Harbor Freight detector. My son bought one and I used it a bit. It works better than you'd expect. Slingshot has much more experience with one gave a great synopsis of what to expect when using it.

The Harbor Freight machine works well enough. I'd hate to see Bearman spend $250+ only to find out he's just not that into it.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your advice about possibly renting a machine, or buying a used detector from one of the supporting vendors. But blowing off the Harbor Freight detector because it's "cheap"?

You should at least try one if you get the opportunity. You might be surprised. I have some limited experience with a Harbor Freight detector. My son bought one and I used it a bit. It works better than you'd expect. Slingshot has much more experience with one gave a great synopsis of what to expect when using it.

The Harbor Freight machine works well enough. I'd hate to see Bearman spend $250+ only to find out he's just not that into it.

I have used a lot of their tools and that is what I am basing my opinion on. I manage an Apartment complex and drive truck so tools are used by me and my maintenance man and if the quality is bad it makes you not want to do the job but if you have the right tool it makes the job enjoyable. So I apply that to the detector as well, as a detector is a tool. just my opinion.

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's what I started with. Amazing discrimination for 50 bucks... if you dial ten only quarters! :) Good value for 50$.

Josh

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the best detector you can afford for the type of detecting you plan on doing.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny, better than what I started with. I knew absolutely nothing about detecting and searched for a few years with a detector my wife got me at radio shack that wouldn't sound off until it bumped the ground or I had a coin within 1" of the coil, the stupid thing never worked. I lost interest but then got on forums and started seeing what everyone was finding with decent detectors so I bought a Tesoro Vaquero and cleaned up every time I went out. How many years I wasted with that cheap one and almost made me give up🤣🤣. I sold that and I have a deus now and just ordered the deus 2 for the beach which the previous two and my finds will pay for. You'd probably be better off buying a good name brand used one somewhere.

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freight anything is garbage.

Sometimes you get lucky, I have a harbor freight mig welder I bought 35 years ago for $49 and it still works flawlessly, I use it a lot.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting started with metal detecting and treasure hunting and I am on a tight budget after recently paying for surgery, rehab, and an all terrain wheelchair. I was looking at beginning level metal detectors online and found out that Harbor Freight makes a metal detector for about 60 dollars. I was looking at online reviews and they all seem to be good with many saying it is the best cheap metal detector on the market. Does anyone here have any advice or first hand experience with this specific metal detector? I know some metal detectors can detect the metallic inks on paper money, can this detector do that? And for context for conditions that it may be used is that I live in Arizona so I won't be detecting in water or wet conditions but I will probably be working in hot dry conditions or possibly cold dry conditions.
Welcome to Tnet!!!

Dirt Rascal

Dec 19, 2021
HF metal detectors are one of the best kept secrets out there. I grew up in a family of relic hunters and began hunting in my pre-teen years. The family jewel is a high end Whites Detector and the rest of the crew dig the Garrett’s. A couple of years ago me and my brother decided to pick up some Harbor Freight 9 Funkies and since then we’ve consistently found serious loot. From coins, tokens, belt buckles, cuffs, and other random treasure items. Our first testing ground was a site that had been hunted for years and was can-slaw nightmare. Needless to say, we adjusted the settings and in no time we dialed in the sweet spot. First time out we pulled two belt buckles, one button, and a sweet Alabama tax token. That was within three hours or so. I’ve bought several for buddies and I’ve owned two (I gave one away and then got another one). It’s proven to be a reliable unit. Just tape up the handle for a more comfortable grip, JB weld the screws on the underside of the rod, wrap the length of the unit for stability— perfection. I still hunt with a White and a Garrett a good deal but I’ve clocked serious hours swinging that HF. It’s got haters, but mainly guys that have never used them. Once they witness the sniffer on those bad boys, you’ll change many minds like we have. #HBFsquad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions