Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
That's Wayne T holding that sample. I'm not saying who it belongs to.

Thanks Frank,

My memory don't work so good anymore, so I often have to rely on my friends and family to do my thinking for me. Hope all is well with you and the family.
Going to try and make it down for at least one day of the Rendezvous. If you get up this way give us a call. We're in the book, although Ryan has my number if you're in touch with him.

Take care,

Joe

DenzelN

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Guys/Gals

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I first came across this site years ago after stumbling on a story about the LDM and for some reason i keep on coming back!

I live a long way away across the pond in the uk, and i am truly fascinated not only by the LDM stories and photos that you guys talk about but also the history and landscape of your part of the world.

I can't seem to find any lost mine stories here in the uk. Plenty of dragons/wizards/witches and castles mind.

Good work fellas, even if i don't really understand or follow most of what is being said.

I do plan on travelling stateside one day, in between business and study duties, what would be the chances of someone, someday showing me an old mine/trail/whatever etc?

Daniel.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Guys/Gals

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I first came across this site years ago after stumbling on a story about the LDM and for some reason i keep on coming back!

I live a long way away across the pond in the uk, and i am truly fascinated not only by the LDM stories and photos that you guys talk about but also the history and landscape of your part of the world.

I can't seem to find any lost mine stories here in the uk. Plenty of dragons/wizards/witches and castles mind.

Good work fellas, even if i don't really understand or follow most of what is being said.

I do plan on travelling stateside one day, in between business and study duties, what would be the chances of someone, someday showing me an old mine/trail/whatever etc?

Daniel.

Welcome Daniel.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Hiya Guys/Gals

Daniel.

I would be happy too Daniel

DenzelN

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! One day i will venture over.....

Please excuse my ignorance of the subject but how on earth, what with the thousands upon thousands of people that have looked for the LDM, has it not been found?

The amount of clued up folk, you guys on this thread, and other forums that really are knowledgable on all things LDM, topography of the area, geology etc, my rather feeble explanation is that it has been found, and has been kept quiet. There can't be many places left in the supes that haven't seen the sole of a mans boot.

There are a few instances where it could of been found IMO, It may have been on this forum or another, i can't remember, plus i have been coming back here and reading for a few years now....about the guys under the camo netting, feldman, plus a few other instances i have forgotten, i think one of these outfits something, how they would know it is the LDM i have no idea, but it might as well have been?

The way people talk about it online, from an outsiders perspective that is, does seem to be strewn with riddles and the real juicy info left out, which is certainly understandable...which leads me to my conclusion that the people of the "inner circle" if you will, really do know where it is, it has taken an awful amount of work to find it (or a site/cache/mine/vein/pitt that very closely fits the description), henceforth.....hush hush.

Its probable there may be people that read this forum that have found it.

Just an opinion of an newbie outsider, its all very interesting though!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! One day i will venture over.....

Please excuse my ignorance of the subject but how on earth, what with the thousands upon thousands of people that have looked for the LDM, has it not been found?

The amount of clued up folk, you guys on this thread, and other forums that really are knowledgable on all things LDM, topography of the area, geology etc, my rather feeble explanation is that it has been found, and has been kept quiet. There can't be many places left in the supes that haven't seen the sole of a mans boot.

There are a few instances where it could of been found IMO, It may have been on this forum or another, i can't remember, plus i have been coming back here and reading for a few years now....about the guys under the camo netting, feldman, plus a few other instances i have forgotten, i think one of these outfits something, how they would know it is the LDM i have no idea, but it might as well have been?

The way people talk about it online, from an outsiders perspective that is, does seem to be strewn with riddles and the real juicy info left out, which is certainly understandable...which leads me to my conclusion that the people of the "inner circle" if you will, really do know where it is, it has taken an awful amount of work to find it (or a site/cache/mine/vein/pitt that very closely fits the description), henceforth.....hush hush.

Its probable there may be people that read this forum that have found it.

Just an opinion of an newbie outsider, its all very interesting though!

Welcome Denzel,

I think what you're talking about is the "Establishment Dutch Hunters" or the misleaders of information. I've searched for it myself in those God Awful Mountains and I can say that yes it can still be lost in the Superstition Mountains because they're as vast as the sea. I went places that hadn't been walked on since the eighteen hundreds by evidence of garbage left there and lack of any recent activity.

Tools from back then still laying around. Clothes and supplies untouched hidden between rocks, food rotted in the cans, old lead tin cans from way back, no foot prints or disturbing of the surrounding ground or vegetation. Old, Old stuff. It can be there and probably is. Trouble is Waltz said he hid it so no one could find it. Only him and he's dead. Until a couple of more centuries have passed and it caves in from the wood rotting in the shaft I don't think it will be found.

DenzelN

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Denzel,

I think what you're talking about is the "Establishment Dutch Hunters" or the misleaders of information. I've searched for it myself in those God Awful Mountains and I can say that yes it can still be lost in the Superstition Mountains because they're as vast as the sea. I went places that hadn't been walked on since the eighteen hundreds by evidence of garbage left there and lack of any recent activity.

Tools from back then still laying around. Clothes and supplies untouched hidden between rocks, food rotted in the cans, old lead tin cans from way back, no foot prints or disturbing of the surrounding ground or vegetation. Old, Old stuff. It can be there and probably is. Trouble is Waltz said he hid it so no one could find it. Only him and he's dead. Until a couple of more centuries have passed and it caves in from the wood rotting in the shaft I don't think it will be found.

I see, maybe i have under estimated things!

Id love to see those old things, maybe one day i will. TBH i would be a rubbish miner, i am terribly claustrophobic, i get the shakes retrieving a jacket from the wardrobe!

There is one thing i have read that is interesting and that is the mine that was covered over with camo netting, with ladders down into it? What was the general consensus on that?

Also Mr X?

Both dead ends?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Denzel,

that is the reason why it is so popular. Go back to the posts or the origional documents and you will find that most are newer bits of information that have been added over the years, not included in the origional story. Mostly immagination.

I had the same problem on The Lost Jesuit mine of Tayopa. For over 400 years they have been looking for it, miners. Gelogists, fortune hunters etc, many of whom died in the search, to the point that it was considered a simple myth, encoraged by the Jesuts, but in spite of this, I found it, and now own it - rather like a white elephant.

So don't give up on the LDM, remember that he hid it as he left the last time, so it may still exist. There are many rasons why he didn't go back, sometimes pure lethergy in that he had enough to live within his later wants.

So my friend, don't give up on the DLM, it is still thee 'IF' you can figure it out.or simply luck out.

Last edited:

DenzelN

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Denzel,

that is the reason why it is so popular. Go back to the posts or the origional documents and you will find that most are newer bits of information that have been added over the years, not included in the origional story. Mostly immagination.

I had the same problem on The Lost Jesuit mine of Tayopa. For over 400 years they have been looking for it, miners. Gelogists, fortune hunters etc, many of whom died in the search, to the point that it was considered a simple myth, encoraged by the Jesuts, but in spite of this, I found it, and now own it - rather like a white elephant.

So don't give up on the LDM, remember that he hid it as he left the last time, so it may still exist. There are many rasons why he didn't go back, sometimes pure lethergy in that he had enough to live within his later wants.

So my friend, don't give up on the DLM, it is still thee 'IF' you can figure it out.or simply luck out.

I will probably never look for the mine myself, but it it does make for interesting reading. I still can't find any comparative stories over here, apart from the lost kings treasure lost in the mud.

I have read before that you have found a mine, what do you do with it now? I assume it provides you with a nice income? Is there a thread on here about it any photos etc?

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Denzel,

My good friend Trampy, can you clue us neophytes in on a credible source for 'he hid it as he left the last time'? thank you bud :)

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, maybe i have under estimated things!

Id love to see those old things, maybe one day i will. TBH i would be a rubbish miner, i am terribly claustrophobic, i get the shakes retrieving a jacket from the wardrobe!

There is one thing i have read that is interesting and that is the mine that was covered over with camo netting, with ladders down into it? What was the general consensus on that?

Also Mr X?

Both dead ends?

I've only experienced Claustrophobia once. During an expedition down in Peppersauce cave. A dead cave near Oracle Arizona. I thought it would be cold in there like the caves in Missouri so my buddy and I wore thick clothing going in. We soon stripped down because of the tight squeeze going in through a long crack in the rock. We ran into another party going down and they told us just follow the yellow string and it will guide you. Guide my arse someone had taken the string and looped it in a big giant circle!

We became lost pretty quick and every cave room had about seven to ten exits and entries. The air was dead in there very little oxygen and both of us began to breath hard from lack of it. Wasn't long before a panic mode was about to set in!

Just when we thought that the light of day was a thing of the past and we were both in there for a long time we heard some people coming. The group came up from the deepest part of the cave system looking like they had been in there for a long time as they smelled real bad, had clothes that were ripped and covered in dirt and looked like they had all faced death from starving as they looked thin and gaunt.

We asked them for directions and they gave us the same answer they had been told. Just follow the string. We new better by then. We followed that group as they were lost in there for two weeks and weren't about to go back so we let them pick the route while we stayed back and listened. Soon they had found the entrance from smelling the fresh air they hadn't smelled for two weeks.

All we did was follow their stench and they lead us back out of there.

I've been in a lot of active caves in Missouri but that one was dead and made you feel like you were in a tomb!

We both made it out in just a few hours not like the others that had ran out of food and were drinking the stale water from an underground stream deep down the cave system yelling for help for all that time.

Never again will I underestimate a cave system, never!

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...The group came up from the deepest part of the cave system looking like they had been in there for a long time as they smelled real bad, had clothes that were ripped and covered in dirt and looked like they had all faced death from starving as they looked thin and gaunt.
Soon they had found the entrance from smelling the fresh air they hadn't smelled for two weeks....
We both made it out in just a few hours not like the others that had ran out of food and were drinking the stale water from an underground stream deep down the cave system yelling for help for all that time.

Hello Bill, I know what you mean about those caves, I use to do a lot of caving as a teenager. But now you couldn't drag me down into one. I shudder when I think of all the chances we took.

I did suffer one short bout of claustrophobia once while scuba diving under a wreck in the Bahamas. The wreck had settled onto a short reef, maybe two feet off the ocean floor, at about the sixty feet depth. There was just enough room to swim under it, which we did. Halfway under the wreck I started to almost panic as I thought about that old wreck collapsing down on top of me. Shot out of there in a hurry! Dive buddies later said they wondered where I was going to so fast!

Just curious about those lost cavers, what kind of lighting did they have that lasted two weeks?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi EarnieP

I don't know what lights sources had the folks in the cave for two weeks , but exist and i have a generator flashlight . This flashlight has a crank handle and when is turned around charge the flashlight for few minutes . Is a good tool for emergency times .
Also I have a LIfeStraw for emergency water supplies .

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We also have a crank flashlight, lantern, and emergency radio...

The lantern works best...ten cranks and it will put out light for half an hour or more...

Being in tornado country I have used the radio many times for updates when the power is out...

All of them lightweight enough to put in a go bag...

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those would certainly work in that situation. Think I still have one around here somewhere myself, forgot all about it. Anyone ever use one of those 'shake and bake' lights. shake instead of crank?

Hate to admit it now, but as a young teenager in the sixties, we would use a spray paint can and paint 'arrows' with the word "OUT" pointing in the direction we'd come into a new room, section, level. And we'd follow other people's older 'paint trials'. Sure made it easier to find your way back out. I believe a lot of those old marks have now been cleaned off most of the more popular caves by the serious spelunker types (no insult intended), makes it 'prettier' but certainly more dangerous.
There were also usually a few strings, fishing lines leading into those well used caves, but they petered out as you got deeper into the systems.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread