What's new

Is the Tesoro tiger shark a decent land machine/backup to my Vaquero

toasted

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
3,452
Reaction score
14,368
Golden Thread
5
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to get into some water detecting but would like to use it as a land backup. I can pick up a used tiger shark for less than an AT Pro. Anyone use it on land. What kind of performance would it resemble compared to other Tesoros. I have owned most. I would just get an AT Pro but the tiger shark is more waterproof/200 feet.
 
I want to get into some water detecting but would like to use it as a land backup. I can pick up a used tiger shark for less than an AT Pro. Anyone use it on land. What kind of performance would it resemble compared to other Tesoros. I have owned most. I would just get an AT Pro but the tiger shark is more waterproof/200 feet.
If your hunting saltwater you don't want the Tiger Shark, you want the Sand Shark. Tiger is a freshwater detector.
 
Brackish water. Around 10% the salinity of seawater. Tesoro says its a fresh and saltwater detector
 
I haven't used mine a lot on land, but trying it out when I first got it, I had to set up the internal sensitivity a bit. Then it performed pretty much like any of the umax series I've used.
luvsdux
 
If your hunting saltwater you don't want the Tiger Shark, you want the Sand Shark. Tiger is a freshwater detector.

The Tiger Shark is basically a freshwater detector even though it was a saltwater mode. Not all beaches are the same as for salt content and amount of black sand. That being said, the AT Pro would be even worse at saltwater beaches an would false all the time. It does fair on dry land however. The Tiger is heavy for land hunting and lacks a pinpoint mode so your holes would be to much damage in grass. Like a golfer you need different clubs for each shot, same goes for detecting with diff detectors.

The Sand Shark is an excellent saltwater beach detector and cheaper than an CZ21 or Excel. It would be my last choice for land hunting as it has almost no Disc for trash in hard dirt.
 
Sounds like the ATpro or AT gold will be a better fit for your situation....and they both work great in fresh water rivers and streams.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom