Is this a bone bead?

MichSam86

Mar 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm not doing something right. I live in Northern Michigan. I live out in the country. There is definitely a rich history of Native American activity in this area. Anyway - The kids and I were playing outside this afternoon, digging through a rock pile on the property, and I found this bone. It looks like maybe a deer antler. Its very dense and heavy. It almost feels like glass or porcelain. The strange thing is that it has a round hole right through the middle of it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Thanks for reading! 1.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe what you’ve got there is a stem piece from a kaolin trade pipe. Where ever you found that, I would hunt it with a metal detector.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pipe Stem from what is called a Tavern Pipe. Made of Kaolin as Rebel stated above.

All of of the long cylindrical pieces in the middle of this tray are Bone Beads.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
M

MichSam86

Mar 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone. After looking online at trade pipes online, I think that's what I have here. Very cool! Thanks for the help and knowledge!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread