What's new

Is this a bridle bit?

smr1000

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
190
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
nokta legend
Found this near the lead cowboy figure that I submitted last week Was covered in rust. Just finished elecrolysis and the rust really disappeared.
Q-tip for size comparison. Any thoughts on age? It's an old farm from the 1830s, but it had been in use for a long time.
Thank you for helping me, as always.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4671.webp
    IMG_4671.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4673.webp
    IMG_4673.webp
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4674.webp
    IMG_4674.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 69
Upvote 5
Not sure, but you could kind of imagine it to be half of a rusted out snaffle bit.
 
Having a hard time seeing that...maybe a side ring...maybe. But then, you did
say "kind of imagine"...agreed.

Were the two pieces together when you found them, as in the first image?
 
Great Question Dizzy
 
I'm thinking it's a simple belt buckle
 
Yes, they were connected when I found them. Iron. Diameter about 4 inches.
Thanks for asking.
 
Not a horse bit.
Unless it's for a Lilliput horse...
-I've owned and spent a fair amount of time with horses and all their accoutrements.-

It's almost the perfect size for an old girth cinch buckle.

Like one of these-
s-l1600.jpg
 
Last edited:
I appreciate your expertise. I used Google lens and this is what appeared. I certainly defer to your experience with horses, as I have none. Thank you.
 
Not a horse bit.
Unless it's for a Lilliput horse...
-I've owned and spent a fair amount of time with horses and all their accoutrements.-

It's almost the perfect size for an old girth cinch buckle.

Like one of these-

Not a horse bit.
Unless it's for a Lilliput horse...
-I've owned and spent a fair amount of time with horses and all their accoutrements.-

It's almost the perfect size for an old girth cinch buckle.

Like one of these-
s-l1600.jpg
Good call. It's been a LONG time since had horses and was heeling steers.
 
Wow, you are right. Looks just like it! Especially the middle one. Thank you!!!
 
Not a horse bit.
Unless it's for a Lilliput horse...
-I've owned and spent a fair amount of time with horses and all their accoutrements.-

It's almost the perfect size for an old girth cinch buckle.

Like one of these-
s-l1600.jpg
Great POINT !!1 When asking what an item is it is SO IMPORTANT to put some thing else in the picture that will help us determine the items size
 
Searcher I have 3 or 4 of those types girth. With out us knowing the size of those rings It was hard to imagine. Now my wife and I just use the Felt girths and they have D rings on them. But we started with the ones like you pictured :)
 
@Gare The old round rings were hard on thinner horses. The fatties were fine with them.
The D-rings are more comfortable and the girths seem to wear more evenly.
Neoprene is widely used also. They seem to be pretty hot though.
 
@Gare The old round rings were hard on thinner horses. The fatties were fine with them.
The D-rings are more comfortable and the girths seem to wear more evenly.
Neoprene is widely used also. They seem to be pretty hot though.
My Tex Tan roping saddle had leather girth, no buckles, so I did not recognize it.
 
My Tex Tan roping saddle had leather girth, no buckles, so I did not recognize it.
How about a picture of you and your horse
 
How about a picture of you and your horse
This is my one and only try at calf roping. By the time I got down and tied it they had stopped the clock because it took so long. Team roping was much easier! I bought Sunny because he was a good calf horse, but he was good at heeling also.
SUNNY.webp

My daughter jumping on her large pony Just Swell and then on her thoroughbred ex racer turned Hunter/Jumper John. Unfortunately kids do get bigger, but Swell did not.
SWEEL.webpJOHN.webp
 
Sandog GREAT pictures :) Thank you very much for sharing them with us :) Me and my wife just trail ride around the USA
 
Here is another picture of me and one of my horses John Wayne i call him JW or just J He is very well broke and trained. He is 22 I got him when he was 5 months


JWSTUMP.webp
 
Found this near the lead cowboy figure that I submitted last week Was covered in rust. Just finished elecrolysis and the rust really disappeared.
Q-tip for size comparison. Any thoughts on age? It's an old farm from the 1830s, but it had been in use for a long time.
Thank you for helping me, as always.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom