Is this a Civil War button?

Sammyt97

Oct 11, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tsoro DeLeon
Hi everyone,

I posted this on another page here and am hoping I can find some answers about what this might be and when it is from. I think you can see the details in the photos, but in case you can't, the front has a shield on it that reminds me of the shield nickel. Above the shield is the word exempt and below the shield are the letters US. There's nothing on the back. It's very corroded as I found it at low tide on the beach in Massachusetts. The first photo was taken with a high flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 647
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 637
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 641

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's representative of mid 1800s period, (1830s - 1850s)

not 100% sure but that's what it looks like,

nice find,

HH

Lonewolfe

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Sammy I would agree with lone wolfe, unless its a knock off, which it doesn't look like. Pre- civil war back to say 1840. Very nice pick-up,especially on the beach.The only reason I bring up knock off is I found a button that had the crown on it along a beach and after further review it was a cheap knockoff. you see some goofy stuff come up on the beach and the salt does some mean stuff to it. aloha..........johny mc.

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
I know this is a late reply,but from the letters exempt could it be a tax or import tojen of some type?Or a cargo seal which would have been secured with a wire to show that a shipment had not been tampered with? only A guess but I,m also curious.
happy hunting,monte

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread