Is this a cob? Help to identify please?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone so I picked this up for free since I bought another coin. Quite worn but it may be my first Spanish cob? Any help is greatly appreciated. If needed I can get the weight if that is necessary!
20170629_192407_resized.jpg 20170629_192416_resized.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Yes. And it's a damn shame the lower grid's details are not discernible. It is a 1 reale, and the dot above the 1 indicates that it is a transitional or post transitional piece. The assayers during the transitional period began doing funky things with the dies by putting dots in the top grid in and around the denomination.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would have been in the lower grid? Dang that does suck but can't complain since it was free. How would you date it? Thanks again!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'll try my best ascii art to depict the grid. It will likely suck, but I hope it gets the point across.

M | T | A
X | Y | Z
A | D | M

M = Mint; T = Denomination; A = Assayer
X = PLV; Y = SVL; Z = TRA (Always the motto Plus Ultra spelled out broken into 3 letter sequence grouping. They substituted V for U.)
A = Assayer; D = Date; M = Mint

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I blew up your picture and notices a partial "V" in the upper right of the grid next to the denomination. It would be the assayer Pedro de Villar who served as assayer at Potosi during the reign of Charles II from 1679 - 1697. Now, your first picture, there is a partial date at 2 o'clock.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As Diver Down mentioned, " (Always the motto Plus Ultra spelled out broken into 3 letter sequence grouping. They substituted V for U.)" the exception is in gold cobs where the Plus Ultra may be displayed in three letters P/V/A;and the bottom row may be three numbers of the year; like 6/9/7.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread