• DSCN03900001.JPG
    DSCN03900001.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCN03910002.JPG
    DSCN03910002.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 540
T

TreasureTales

Need a little more info. What is the size? What is the material? It's interesting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
TreasureTales said:
Need a little more info. What is the size? What is the material? It's interesting.
Same size as a Quarter. Brass or bronze not sure

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Thanks for the additional info. Well, this won't help much, but the dominate thing on the reverse is a griffen. Some other familiar symbols on the reverse, although I can't recall what they represent. I kinda doubt it was a coin, but not sure so don't take my word for it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
Thanks for the additional info. Well, this won't help much, but the dominate thing on the reverse is a griffen. Some other familiar symbols on the reverse, although I can't recall what they represent. I kinda doubt it was a coin, but not sure so don't take my word for it.
Thanks T.T. Thats a start and give me some more to go on.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It appears to be a modern piece— probably made for use in costume jewelry, as evidenced by the multiple holes— modeled on the ancient Greek Apollo/lion series coins of Miletus, Ionia, dating from the 4th century B.C.

http://rjohara.net/coins/

Attachments

• AL1.jpg
    AL1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 491
  • AL2.jpg
    AL2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
PBK said:
It appears to be a modern piece— probably made for use in costume jewelry, as evidenced by the multiple holes— modeled on the ancient Greek silver and bronze Apollo/lion series coins of Miletus, Ionia, dating from the 4th century A.D.

http://rjohara.net/coins/
Thanks PBK. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do. I looked at Roman and Greek coins till one in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a piece of a brooch or it could actually be a coin. Maybe the previous owner nailed it to a box or something.

Upvote 0

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry piece seems to be the answer.
The reverse isn't too bad, but the head or bust style, the holes and crudeness says jewelry piece

Still a neat find

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
I was pretty sure it wasn't real but you know in the back of your mind on something like that your always hoping. I don't think it was made with the four holes in it they looked to of been punched at a latter date. And the fact that it has a front and back means both side were made to be seen. So I don't think it would of been a broach. I guess i will never know for sure. Keep in mind though that the ghost town I dug it in has been gone for 100 years. So even though its modern compared to the coin its modeled after I'll still be happy to add it to my colletion. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread