What's new

Is This A Fuze?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this piece on a local farm. Farm dates to the mid 1700's and, according to the family, Confederate soldiers camped there at some point. Anyway, this piece appears to be brass w/faint threads. It's about 1.5" across the wide end, about 1" across the narrow, and almost 1.75" long. Fuze or piece of old plumbing? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • fuze_maybe.webp
    fuze_maybe.webp
    21 KB · Views: 333
  • fuze_maybe2.webp
    fuze_maybe2.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 340
  • fuze_maybe3.webp
    fuze_maybe3.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 343
While your find has a lot of the attributes of a fuse I don't believe yours is a fuse. I ran it thru my book on Artillery Fuses by Charles H. Jones and I can't find a match. Interesting piece.
 
Upvote 0
duggap said:
While your find has a lot of the attributes of a fuse I don't believe yours is a fuse. I ran it thru my book on Artillery Fuses by Charles H. Jones and I can't find a match. Interesting piece.

Thanks. I couldn't either. I've learned, however, that what I sometimes think is "junk" turns out to be something good. I appreciate you lookin' for me!
 
Upvote 0
Looks more like a bushing. The square lug on the flange would keep it from spinning on the shaft. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC - yes, you could be right. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
As Duggap astutely observed, "While your find has a lot of the attributes of a fuse I don't believe yours is a fuse. "

All civil war era (and earlier) artillery fuzes & fuzeplugs were either winecork-shaped (a tapering body) or had threading on the outside and some form of provision for screwing them into the shell with a fuze-wrench (such as spanner-holes, slots, or a hexagonal-shaped top rim for the wrench to grab).

Unfortunately, your find has absolutely none of those characterisitics. I agree with Tony-in-SC that your find is some kind of mechanical bushing.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
As Duggap astutely observed, "While your find has a lot of the attributes of a fuse I don't believe yours is a fuse. "

All civil war era (and earlier) artillery fuzes & fuzeplugs were either winecork-shaped (a tapering body) or had threading on the outside and some form of provision for screwing them into the shell with a fuze-wrench (such as spanner-holes, slots, or a hexagonal-shaped top rim for the wrench to grab).

Unfortunately, your find has absolutely none of those characterisitics. I agree with Tony-in-SC that your find is some kind of mechanical bushing.

Thanks CBG - I tend to agree, though there are faint threads and a slight taper at the end of the piece.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom