Is this a good buy?

I think it depends on what aspect of the coins is tempting you. If you are a fan of Eisenhower, president when I was a child, a great general and honorable president, that is one reason. If so, is a roll better than a single nice example? As a silver play, the silver of these 40% coins is only 0.3161 oz, less than the 0.36169 oz of a 90% 64 Kennedy half, so you are paying $6 for about 4.85 spot silver. If you are tempted by potentially high grades in the roll, would you be willing to take a chance on paying the fee to have them graded and slabbed? You can compare prices to the bullion silver sellers. Rolls of dollars, and 40% silver coins in general, take up a lot of room relative to their silver content compared to 90% coins. I see APMEX is selling 90% silver 64 Kennedy halves for the same $120 price, so more silver for the price, but not BU.

More than likely, they've already been high graded. It's not currently a real popular series to collect, but, who knows what the future popularity might be. The dates you mentioned are some of the key dates however. In '76, there are a couple of varieties that can bring a little more, but, like I mentioned earlier, they've probably already been plucked from the rolls. Like Don mentioned, it will depend on your motivation for acquiring them as to it being a good deal or not.

I have the chance to buy 4 rolls of 20 Ike’s. Each are 40% silver and supposedly B.U. 1971, 73, and 76’s each roll is $120. Never bought Ike’s so I’d like some opinions please and thank you!

I'd be a buyer at $90 a roll. I think $120 is too much of a premium for that. You could probably do better at a major coin show.

Thank you to everyone for your advice! I decided to pass and spend my money on a better buy. Thanks again!

Thank you to everyone for your advice! I decided to pass and spend my money on a better buy. Thanks again!

Good choice, sometimes 40%ers are hard to sell. When refining to 999 there is too much copper to remove and that drives the refining costs up.

I think you made the right choice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back