682.9 KB · Views: 660
  • Stone3.JPG
    Stone3.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
Hmmm... How come all the photos are "cut off" on the side where the object is? (At least on my screen, they are.) I see a bunch of brick paving but only a tiny sliver of one side of the rock and the rest of it goes off the page. :dontknow:

When I looked at that first photo with the rounded, whiter looking stone, though, I immediately thought of "Staddler Stones" that are these mushroom-looking, low, roughly hewn, stone "seats" they've used for hundreds of years as outdoor seats in English gardens.

They still make them (using "chainsaws", I've heard -- I think they're actually made from "slate" which is relatively easy to carve). I remember seeing antique ones advertised for sale in an upscale gardening catalog a long time ago. All I could find was a couple of links for info for you:

Here's a pretty good photo of one: http://www.hollowaysgardenantiques.co.uk/media/details/cotswold-stone-mushroom-473.jpg and that website does have some explanation, as well.

Here's another photo showing a couple that look more like the ones I remember seeing in that catalog all those years ago:
http://www.andrewhartleyfinearts.co.uk/AuctionImages/691JUN2010.jpg

But it's really hard to tell WHAT the entirety of the piece you're showing us really looks like (if everybody else is having the same problem viewing them that I am) since we (I) can only see what looks like about a 6th of one edge of the entire object in the photos.

:dontknow:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
The larger rock looks like a metate. Not sure if the smaller one is a mano or not with out looking at it. I brought home 18 two sided manos this winter. Left many one sided ones on the desert. If I could figure this picture taking/posting thing out I would put them on here.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Nor-cal gal!! you are talking about the same thing my pc shows when people post oversize photos or uncroped photos, my pc has a [%] icon on one tool bar, i use it to reduce or enlarge what is on my screen, i keep it at 100% easy to read posts and change it as needed for photos, this one was at 45% when i could see the whole grinding stone at one time on one screen. if your screen shows a %icon on one of your tool bars play with it and see what it will do, mine is lower right side, yours could be top or bottom or side where your tool bars are, hope i made my self clear and used the right words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread