is this a meteorite

bmetz82

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy rocks i found today. This one is very magnetic. Can IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0645.JPG anyone tell me what they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big frozen hunk of poopy!

OP
OP
B

bmetz82

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it slag? It was found in the middle of a corn field. Everything i have read and by the looks im pretty sure its a meteorite. i dont know tho. People have givin me so many different answers.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
My theory is that a piece of farm machinery broke down In the field and they have used a gas torch and welder to fix it in situ. So what you have there is slag from a repair, that's the wonderful thing about this hobby, there is a story behind everything you find

OP
OP
B

bmetz82

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very magnetic meaning it attracts a magnet. It has all the signs of both slag and a meteorite. Ive seen slag and its not like this. Idk where to get it checked out at.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the best place to
Go looking
For meteorites and are they valuable

Yes they're valuable. Root around on google and you'll get some answers as to where to find them. I spent time in the woods in January of 2011 looking for something that fell from the sky. All I found was evidence that porcupines eat the bark off trees in the winter... :laughing7:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meteorite wrong, maybe it did fall from space as space junk.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the kind of rocks that we find on the railroad tracks around here.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the kind of rocks that we find on the railroad tracks around here.
Meteorites have NO air holes or air pockets, yours has bubbly features.

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Contact a local University with and Astronomy department. They can help you or direct you to help. If they suspect it to be a meteorite, they will sample it and compare it's composition to a database and can tell you if it is a known strike or a new one.

It looks like slag to me, but that is because I am looking at photo. The only way to really find out is to have an expert look at it.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like slag to me, Check your local collage or university, they will help you "find the truth"......Use the force Luke..................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread