Is this a Native American artifact?

aumo0865

Sep 11, 2014
colorado
Detector(s) used
some old crap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I found this oddly shaped rock near a river by the flatirons. I was actually looking for a rock to shape into an axe head later this week and after picking this up it looked like the work was already done. it has a partially flattened top and bottom and at the wider end it gets thinner. its approxamatly 6 inches long and at the wide end its a bit under 4 inches tall. i was wondering if it was some sort of tool (axe head/tomahawk). I wanted to make sure it was not historical before I began re shaping it. Thanks!! 20140911_193430[1].jpg i also apologize if this is in the wrong place forgive me as I am new to the site.

Attachments

• 20140911_191923.jpg
    20140911_191923.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aumo0865, welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, what you have is just a naturally shaped stone that does somewhat resemble a "Tomahawk". The name Tomahawk actually refers to the metal weapons that were used in historic times. The Stone Tools were called Axes or Celts. The Axes were grooved and the Celts were ungrooved. I honestly don't see any evidence of that stone being altered by man, but don't get discouraged. If you keep at it and hunt the correct areas you will find artifacts. You just have to be diligent in your efforts. Good luck and keep your eyes to the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread