Is this a Native American scraping tool?

widigger

Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This item was found on my family's land that was previously home to Menominee tribe. I originally thought it may be a spear head but now am leaning towards it being a scraper of some sort, if its anything at all. It has an apparent groove in it which my thumb fits in perfectly. Black stone with sparkly particles. Looks as though it had a pointed tip that broke off due to the fact that its IMAG2168.jpgIMAG2161.jpg1397289606841.jpg1397289689482.jpg1397289741083.jpg1397289794360.jpg1397289857771.jpg flat at the tip. Any ideas? This was my first find so I'm new to

It sure could be! Most tools and weapons are unmistakeable because of the flaking and chipping done to make them fit the task at hand. However some tools have been found to be very crude but useable. Your find might be very important so go back to where you found it and document what,when, and where . might be there is more to be found. your pictures show that it could very well be a hide scraping or some digging type tool! Good luck! Let me know if it leads to more finds. I think your find is way cool!:icon_thumright: The Kid

Upvote 0
Hello widigger,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us your find.

Personally, I do not see the hand of man being involved in it's making, nor do I see a sharp edge for scraping. We are fortunate to have an excellent North American artifact forum: North American Indian Artifacts, frequented by folks with significant expertise. Were it mine, I'd take better photos, in natural light, and post it there.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
SUNP0049.JPGSUNP0050.JPGSUNP0054.JPGYeah I havent seen one like that before... but heres one i found....its hard to see the flakings on the scraping side my macro doesn't seem to be working.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back