Is this a native american wedding vase?

kristenk

Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I found this vase in a flea market marked as "double neck orange vase", but as far as I can find, ones that look like this and with this design makes me think it is possibly a wedding vase...which I am hoping it is for my wedding ceremony. Most of them online are $50-$200 so I was happy to land this for only $10 if it is what I think it is. Can anyone confirm it?
weddingvase.JPG

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. Not sure about the wedding vase part, but I guess for YOUR wedding, it can be anything you want. However I'm just a dabbler, but the piece looks like modern Navaho to me (they were real fond of that red clay). A search of "navaho wedding vase" brought up lots of similar vases. Very nice flea market find and good luck on your upcoming nuptials.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kristenk

Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I def. think it looks more modern than ancient. I feel like the design still has a native american influence to it. The bottom does have the name written J. Dudley. Google shows several different results for Dudley in pottery. Anyone know J. Dudley artist?

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Not disputing its origin or use, but have seen this same vase made from red clay sold as a tourist item in Tijuana Mexico...

The red clay is typical of mexican pottery...generally its sun baked or low fired.

Kiln fired pottery is more conducive to Arizona and New Mexico region.

Upvote 0

redtailvision

Nov 3, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it is a Native American style wedding vase and is newer. During the ceremony, you drink from one side, he drinks from the other, then you both drink and try not to spill any. After the vase is broken ad buried in the earth to seal the union forever. My wife and I didn't spill any!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread