invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron artifact pictured below was found at what was once a farm in SW Ohio - that was settled in the late 1790s-early 1800s and occupied up to the early 2000s. Ax heads, a complete stirrup, and horse shoes were found nearby. The right side in the first picture originally came to a point - but it broke off. Not sure if the artifact was originally bent as shown in the third picture or became that way later. Thought it might be a rein guide - but didn't find any shaped like this. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210701_064447.jpg
    20210701_064447.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210701_064322.jpg
    20210701_064322.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210701_064303.jpg
    20210701_064303.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 78

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece, but it isn't a rein guide.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not like any i have found...unless its a style i am not familiar with

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not like any i have found...unless its a style i am not familiar with

Tpmetal, thanks. Yes those I found look like those posted to TNet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every one I've seen has been brass. Yours looks like it had another tab on it, that is now broken off.

mick56, thanks, all I've found were brass too. Guess I need to re-think the rein guide theory. The "stem" is probably too thin to have stood up to wear & tear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following-up on mick56's idea that a tab was broken off - I added it & the pointed end back on with PowerPoint. Hopefully this will generate some IDs.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to agree with Mud Hut, I don't think this is a reins guide either. :dontknow:
Mainly because this piece doesn't look to be durable enough for the stress and strains it would've had to withstand.

I've found many different styles and designs in both iron and brass, yet none resembled the piece you found. :icon_scratch:
Wish I could have been of more help buddy.
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Mud Hut, I don't think this is a reins guide either. :dontknow:
Mainly because this piece doesn't look to be durable enough for the stress and strains it would've had to withstand.

I've found many different styles and designs in both iron and brass, yet none resembled the piece you found. :icon_scratch:
Wish I could have been of more help buddy.
Dave

Dave, thanks for your input. My gut says this will by a mystery.??? Maybe offer a prize to museum visitor who comes up w/ the right answer - a invitation to me to come detect their property. Oh wait, that would be a prize for me:hello:

I'm meeting an 8-year old boy and his mom at a permission later this AM. A couple weeks ago I was asked to ID an artifact he found in the creek during a summer camp by the camp guide. A few days later he sends me an email thanking me and said he is interested in local history. His mom added that he saved up money to buy a metal detector. Normally I detect solo, but they impressed me enough to meet and give him some pointers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it i cast iron, it would be too rough for a rein guide & wear out the leather too quickly.

CaptEsteban, that is a really good point - thanks!:occasion14:

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, thanks for your input. My gut says this will by a mystery.??? Maybe offer a prize to museum visitor who comes up w/ the right answer - a invitation to me to come detect their property. Oh wait, that would be a prize for me:hello:

I'm meeting an 8-year old boy and his mom at a permission later this AM. A couple weeks ago I was asked to ID an artifact he found in the creek during a summer camp by the camp guide. A few days later he sends me an email thanking me and said he is interested in local history. His mom added that he saved up money to buy a metal detector. Normally I detect solo, but they impressed me enough to meet and give him some pointers.

That's cool of you!

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Well look at it this way.....The lad will be taught right, learn the proper etiquette, and you'll be giving another generation a hobby that gets them off the couch.

Awesome on your part......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well look at it this way.....The lad will be taught right, learn the proper etiquette, and you'll be giving another generation a hobby that gets them off the couch.

Awesome on your part......

ffuries, thanks, and I couldn't have said it better!

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's very generous of you to offer your time to mentor a young person who's just getting started in the hobby. :thumbsup:
It's always a good idea for new people who want to get into this hobby to learn what they should and shouldn't do when it come to detecting and recovering items.

Look forward to hearing how your detecting adventure went yesterday.
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very generous of you to offer your time to mentor a young person who's just getting started in the hobby. :thumbsup:
It's always a good idea for new people who want to get into this hobby to learn what they should and shouldn't do when it come to detecting and recovering items.

Look forward to hearing how your detecting adventure went yesterday.
Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the kudos. When the boy and his mom arrived I gave them a short presentation about the property and some of the key former residents plus some history & archeology magazines. Then I asked him to fire up his detector and demonstrated how to swing it properly. I also explained the importance of learning his machine and making a test garden at his house. He found a harmonica reed & a couple modern coins. He also dug a handful of nails - which I explained the differences - and how they can help date a site. He also had a good eye, as he noticed a button and some pottery sherds on top of the ground. He hung in there for 2 1/2 hours - which I thought amazing. Overall, they both left happy and I'll bet he slept well last night. His parents grinning ear-to-ear.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Dave, thanks for the kudos. When the boy and his mom arrived I gave them a short presentation about the property and some of the key former residents plus some history & archeology magazines. Then I asked him to fire up his detector and demonstrated how to swing it properly. I also explained the importance of learning his machine and making a test garden at his house. He found a harmonica reed & a couple modern coins. He also dug a handful of nails - which I explained the differences - and how they can help date a site. He also had a good eye, as he noticed a button and some pottery sherds on top of the ground. He hung in there for 2 1/2 hours - which I thought amazing. Overall, they both left happy and I'll bet he slept well last night. His parents grinning ear-to-ear.:laughing7:
It sure sounds like he's a natural when it comes to reading the soil before he even put a shovel in the ground, as you know this is an important skill to have when detecting early home sites.
Hunting for 2.5hrs without getting discouraged is a good sign, this means he's already addicted to the hobby. :thumbsup:

Hope you're are having a great Independence Day weekend,
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure sounds like he's a natural when it comes to reading the soil before he even put a shovel in the ground, as you know this is an important skill to have when detecting early home sites.
Hunting for 2.5hrs without getting discouraged is a good sign, this means he's already addicted to the hobby. :thumbsup:

Hope you're are having a great Independence Day weekend,
Dave

Dave, yes I celebrated the 4th by metal detecting!:hello2: Today I'll be volunteering at a booth set-up by the local historical society at a festival. In addition to telling people about some of the artifacts found w/ my metal detector, I'll give them a chance to win a piece of Ohio's official gemstone (flint) if they can answer a history question.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread