What's new

Is this a shell?

Aimblv

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
29
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This powdery stuff gets all over your hands I have soaked these Many times but that stuff is all over it
 

Attachments

  • image-1024449603.webp
    image-1024449603.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3143921665.webp
    image-3143921665.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-528580781.webp
    image-528580781.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3802491884.webp
    image-3802491884.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2796404129.webp
    image-2796404129.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 102
Also , I am From east tx but not entirely sure if they were found here but more than likely from tx I'm guessing
 
id say yes and if its fossilzed the the white stuff is probably calcium
 
Thanks dirtydig :) I have a question is there a way I could get the calcium off the shell or maybe clean it up without messing it up ? I have several of these
 

Attachments

  • image-448276903.webp
    image-448276903.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1197628627.webp
    image-1197628627.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3411961867.webp
    image-3411961867.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 95
Can't think of a good reason for the oyster shells to be shedding. If they are calcium carbonate, maybe moisture in the air is reacting to form carbonic acid so that the shell is decomposing. Stop it by sealing the shells with a consolidant. Try Duco Cement (clear model cement) diluted with acetone.
 
Thanks Harry!! I'll try that !
 
Its a clamshell
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom