The Metalorian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2021
Cumberland, ME
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 10” in the ocean muck by my Equinox 600, solid 23-24 VDI. Just off a stone pier used to launch schooners in the 1800s. Size is 1” diameter and very thick 1/8”, heavy weight is 5/8 oz. Isn’t white like lead, I am thinking tombac? The holes are very cleanly drilled. I am puzzled by the 2 sides which are the front and back of a Matron One Cent, date not legible, but the sides are the relief, showing indentations of stars and images, and the words “One Cent” are backwards. I can only guess it’s a trade weight? Made by using the front and back of a Matron to form the mold?

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3166.jpeg
    IMG_3166.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 34

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it have been a counterfeit coin & they drilled/punched holes thru it to mark it/take it out of circulation so to speak.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't make the details out when I enlarge the images if the lettering is inverted (mirrored).

Not a trade weight of any sorts that I've ever seen posted up before.
(Not saying it wasn't turned into a scale weight and the impression to make it look official)

If a regular coin and that has 2 holes, I'd be thinking it was a whizzer.
Liking it as it's a different type of a recovery.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

The Metalorian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2021
Cumberland, ME
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't make the details out when I enlarge the images if the lettering is inverted (mirrored).

Not a trade weight of any sorts that I've ever seen posted up before.
(Not saying it wasn't turned into a scale weight and the impression to make it look official)

If a regular coin and that has 2 holes, I'd be thinking it was a whizzer.
Liking it as it's a different type of a recovery.
The lettering is mirrored, you can tell best if you look at the back side. The Matron is facing the opposite direction (looking to the right) when its supposed to be facing left.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
T

The Metalorian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2021
Cumberland, ME
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it have been a counterfeit coin & they drilled/punched holes thru it to mark it/take it out of circulation so to speak.
I don’t think it was a counterfeit as it is very think, almost twice as think as a typical copper And heavier. I won’t think it would fool anyone!

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So someone press the coin into a disc leaving a mirrored/reversed image of the coin.

Why they would do it is beyond me, unless out of boredom, or as a game piece....Who knows! Cool find whatever it is, that is for sure.

Upvote 1

Boghog1

Apr 24, 2023
NH
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex
Past: Bounty Hunter Pioneer
if it is mirrored it could have been used to make counterfeit coins, like the plates used to make counterfeit paper currency.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions