Is this an Adze? New Brunswick Canada

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum - though I've been looking for indian artifacts (unsuccessfully) in my area for a few years now. People don't find artifacts up here as often as some of you folks further south along the eastern seabord, I'm not sure if that's because of the types of stone they had available or the population density or what, but when people find even a single spearpoint it tends to make the news if they want it to. My brother and I headed out today along a local river that is so low right now that there is a good 10-15ft on either side where you can walk on the muddy riverbed and see the exposed banks, which are essentially all mud/clay. This piece was sticking out of the bank about halfway, dull end out, but looked somewhat out of place so I pulled it out. Lo and behold it the other end looked too pretty to be natural! I've seen other examples of adzes found in Down East Maine that look quite similar (from the red paint people period), but I'm in no way an archaeologist or anthropologist, just good at using the internet and Control+F.

It doesn't really look like a type of stone that is common around here, and I have no idea how old it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome too the forum!I would say yeah.The experts should be along to help you out.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very good find and I would call that a celt because the blade bit is in the center of the piece, most adze are off center. Where you found that, there is more artifacts in that area:thumbsup:Welcome to Tnet:hello:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

That sure is a Very nice find! :icon_thumleft: I would go back and look some more in the general vicinity of where you found it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Celt find and welcome to the forum

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice looking Celt (selt), though I have heard some folks call them kelts. Like was said above, an Adz will have a upturned blade edge.

This is an Adz.

Attachments

• 100_6766.jpg
    100_6766.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_6765.jpg
    100_6765.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_6764.jpg
    100_6764.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_6761.jpg
    100_6761.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 254

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Celt Maritimer.We find a lot of hard stone tools here in Maine.Personally I find more adzes than celts.My hard stone to arrowheads ratio lately has been about 8to1.That stone looks like basalt which is the rock of choice around here for hard stone tools.Good luck nice start...mjm

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find! Get back out to that river and continue looking..........especially in the gravel areas!

OP
OP
M

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies! Anyone have an idea of how old it might be? We are heading back out right now to check it out again. There were some larger-than-fist sized pieces of rough granite in the banks within a couple feet of this piece, and there are essentially no rocks in the banks of this river, just fine alluvial silt, so I'm thinking they aren't there randomly.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take some pics before you carry them all the way back home. Post the pics here we will tell you if they are just rocks, good luck

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum - though I've been looking for indian artifacts (unsuccessfully) in my area for a few years now. People don't find artifacts up here as often as some of you folks further south along the eastern seabord, I'm not sure if that's because of the types of stone they had available or the population density or what, but when people find even a single spearpoint it tends to make the news if they want it to. My brother and I headed out today along a local river that is so low right now that there is a good 10-15ft on either side where you can walk on the muddy riverbed and see the exposed banks, which are essentially all mud/clay. This piece was sticking out of the bank about halfway, dull end out, but looked somewhat out of place so I pulled it out. Lo and behold it the other end looked too pretty to be natural! I've seen other examples of adzes found in Down East Maine that look quite similar (from the red paint people period), but I'm in no way an archaeologist or anthropologist, just good at using the internet and Control+F.

It doesn't really look like a type of stone that is common around here, and I have no idea how old it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

View attachment 1059799 View attachment 1059800 View attachment 1059801 View attachment 1059802 [/QUOTE

woe that is some kinda nice edge one that celt so dang sharp and no real damage from usage.......really nice....nice edge

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must of never rolled in the water at all. I would guess rite where he found it is the actual site.

OP
OP
M

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Update: Because of the condition of the artifact, the location I'd found it in (floodplains, little opportunity for movement of heavy objects over time), and the potential for an actual site to be found there, I decided to report my find to the Provincial Heritage/Archaeology Dept. In New Brunswick, this means I will be giving the artifact up to be held in trust for the First Nations. I passed along photos and an explanation of the circumstances I'd found the celt/axehead in to an archaeologist who told me that the tool is made out of greenstone tuff, which was used by the people inhabiting New Brunswick and Maine between 4500 and 6000 years ago, and that these tools are often connected with burial ceremonialism. If there is something cool in that riverbank, I'd rather a team of professionals do it systematically than what kind of havoc I could wreak, although I will still be going out in the relative area to look for more loose finds. I've read of at least one prominent 'Red Paint People/Maritime Archaic' burial ground within 30 kms of the find, so I'm hoping they end up finding more here. Anyways, thought some of you might enjoy a little update. If there's interest, I can update again when I bring it in to them if they say anything more about it.

Here are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure as well. You can really see the grind marks on the edges of the celt, as well as the diagonal scratches near the bit that I'm assuming are a result of the sharpening process (not sure about that, but it would make sense).
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Axe. I think the usage of the word celt is less descriptive and only a shape. I never use it. "Celts" are either an axe, adze or unfinished piece. JHMOP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread