What's new

is this an armstrong field gun piece of shell or of an 1860 british hand grenade

Des from down under

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
HI I would appreciate a thought on this, found same place same depth as mortar frags battle site of the 1860s in n/z.
The round item on left of pic is covered in a sort of zinc and is 2 and 5/16 th in diam and about 5/8th of an inch thick, they mention the use of grenades and coehorns and armstrongs..the little segment on the right is the same in circumfrence and segmented with a zinc type coating in places, could this be part of the same..by the way it has a centre hole one side and four indented holes on the other side like for fitting or removing, but it dosent seem to have a thread as such..love your thoughts ..des from n/z
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0014.webp
    DSCF0014.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 510
Great finds Des :icon_thumleft:
Excellent pic. Unfortunately, I'm unable to help with an ID.
Maybe another pic of the back of the object will help us all to envisage a use for it.
I've sent a message to sasnz to check out your post. He is a Heavy Art'y fan.
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Great finds Des :icon_thumleft:
Excellent pic. Unfortunately, I'm unable to help with an ID.
Maybe another pic of the back of the object will help us all to envisage a use for it.
I've sent a message to sasnz to check out your post. He is a Heavy Art'y fan.
Cheers, Mike
doing now thanks,,sorry about the huge pics but these things are big..you guys want to link up sometime ???
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0014.webp
    DSCF0014.webp
    161.2 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0
"doing now thanks,,sorry about the huge pics but these things are big..you guys want to link up sometime" Sounds like a plan!
I can't view your pics without resizing them - so here they are again
DSCF0012.webp
DSCF0014.webp
DSCF0016.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like pieces of a cannon ball to me. I think the fuse would screw in where the threads are seen. I don't have a clue what that smaller item may be? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Looks like pieces of a cannon ball to me. I think the fuse would screw in where the threads are seen. I don't have a clue what that smaller item may be? Monty
I agree with Monty. ;D



The left smaller item almost looks like a fuse but I am not familiar with these.. :dontknow:

Cool find
 
Upvote 0
Re: is this an armstrong field gun piece of shell or of an 1860 british hand gre

5.8" would be a coehorn mortal shell.

This is a Armstrong:
 

Attachments

  • Armstrong.webp
    Armstrong.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 746
Upvote 0
Re: is this an armstrong field gun piece of shell or of an 1860 british hand gre

Lucas said:
5.8" would be a coehorn mortal shell.

This is a Armstrong:
THANKS LUCAS...
 
Upvote 0
I dont know anything about these and shouldnt even be posting but I found this cross sectional pic of a cannonball and thought Id post it. It shows how thick these are.
 

Attachments

  • cannonball.webp
    cannonball.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 751
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know anything about these and shouldnt even be posting but I found this cross sectional pic of a cannonball and thought Id post it. It shows how thick these are.
thats a great info pic for me to save in a special place..thanks for that..bigcypresshunter....cheers
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think my major problem is I don't know what an Armstrong field gun is! Sorry I couldn't help. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I think my major problem is I don't know what an Armstrong field gun is! Sorry I couldn't help. Monty
thats cool monty you cant be good at everything..thanks for your help anyway,
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom