What's new

WHAT IS THE SMALL PIECE OFF? (thanks)

Des from down under

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
Hi from New Zealand, I thought some of you guys might like a shot of some of my goodies, the pieces of shrapnell I think are coehorn mortar bits I dug along with the enfield bullets, the small piece I would like a bit of an idea on, I dug at the same site, circa 1860 till 1865, it is a segmented piece and has a fine wrapping of lead all over it with a wall thickness of about 20mm, is this of an armstrong gun? love your help on this!
The other bits that some of you might not have seen are the stone patu and the greenstone mere, the same apart from the prestigiousness of the greenstone..was well known in early times that if you were dispatched by this type, it was good fortune for you!!!!!!can you work that one out!! It was used not as a club but thrust in a striking blow to the temple to lift of the skull..it being a favourite hand weapon with early maori from the 1700,s to the late 1800,s, replaced then by tomahawks.
The old relic of a gun was found driven into the ground as a stake on an old maori war trail by my brother in the back country of Hawkes Bay N/Z,,, any ideas on this ???
The other bits are a complete snider bullet, part of a nickel spur, (hope this is not boring you ) and a collection of pa kahawai these being very early lures that the early maoris towed behind there wakas (large canoes) the paua inlays deflected light and the predator fish nailed them, the idea being the crude bone hook caught in behind the gill plate and was flicked on board.
thanks for looking and any help I for sure do appreciate it. cheers des from down under!! :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0004.webp
    DSCF0004.webp
    140.8 KB · Views: 668
  • DSCF0002.webp
    DSCF0002.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCF0005.webp
    DSCF0005.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 644
Re: WHAT IS THE SMALL PIECE OF?

Very nice collection, would you take some close ups of the patu's and post them for us also? Those are very nice pieces thanks for posting them.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
Re: WHAT IS THE SMALL PIECE OF?

Nice finds. Sorry I can't be any help with your whatsits but I did find one of your penny's recently in Alabama. It was a big surprise for me. The size of it is what blew me away. Looks like you're getting some nice finds in N.Z. Keep it up and keep posting. Pic of the penny below.

Randy

PS...I like the avatar. That's a big pig. :o
 

Attachments

  • july19 001.webp
    july19 001.webp
    31 KB · Views: 629
  • july19 002.webp
    july19 002.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
The rifle reminds me of a Marlin lever action. I think everyone owned a Marlin 30-30 at one time. You load the cartridges through the hole, one at a time. The octagon barrel may be an older model.
 

Attachments

  • marlin lever action.webp
    marlin lever action.webp
    128.9 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
I think it's part of an old Henry rifle. The one that you could." load on Sunday and shoot all week!". I see some pieces of shrapnel and I have seen those short paddles somewhere but can't place them. Monty
 
Upvote 0
The Henry rifle had a brass frame, thus the nickname Yellowboy. That might be from a Winchester '66 or later.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
TiredIron said:
Its not a Henry...Spencer...or Winchester,
I think your rifle looks mostly like the early "Marlin" lever profiles. Most likely Model 1881. See if you can clean the left side of the barrel and raise any engraved writing.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/135972000/135972155/pix254348046.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/135977000/135977330/pix258563265.jpg

TiredIron
Thanks TiredIron. I was wondering if I was the only one that ever owned a Marlin lol.
Your pics are very close.

I would also like to add that the hammer is bent up and around.
 
Upvote 0
Close.....its not the hammer...but the top tang that lays back on the wrist of the stock. The hammer, lever, and all the guts are missing. It pains me somethin' terrible that this was pounded into the ground as fence post. Out on one of my families ranches we were busting up an old concrete stock tank and found two rifles in about this condition thrown in as rebar.....ahHHHHHh the humanity!
I have an old 1895 Marlin in 45/70....one of my favorite shooters. All the old lever guns are good.

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Tirederon, yes dosnen't it make you sizzle, this was hammered in the ground as a marker..there are old grave sites by me over here that have musket barrels for headstone markers, but the one that makes me cringe is evedently when the gun amnesty occured here years ago, one could hand in any firearm without prosecution and may i might add most were destroyed, a mate of mine was in the arms office of the local police station and he was shown a flattened out piece of a gun that was made into a bloody ashtray..on it he made out the words..one of one thousand......the bastard that did that needs boiling in oil...cheers and thanks for your help..des from down under.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0001.webp
    DSCF0001.webp
    357.6 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0
Gun amnesty? Sounds horrific.
 
Upvote 0
oops !!!wrong pic , should have been this one......cheers des
 

Attachments

  • rifle barrel for headstone.webp
    rifle barrel for headstone.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0
If by any chance our government declared a "gun amnesty" to turn our firearms in, I am pretty sure we would have another Civil War. All the southern and western states except maybe Kalifornia , Oregon and Washington would refuse to do so, and so would 90% or more of the citizenry. Maybe not a civil war as such but certainly a huge refusal to comply. Civil disobedience would run amok. The right to bear arms is part of our heritage. Even though you occasionally hear of some nut going off the deep end and shooting people, or death rate by firearms isn't a drop in the bucket compared to deaths by vehicular accidents. So, then some morin would say , let's ban automobiles. Our present leader is already trying to get rid of our big roomy automobiles and go green. No, our states will most likely go red. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I cant speak for everyone in Washington State but i would
definatly refuse to do so. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
I guess i should have explained properly about the gun amnesty..it was directed at illegal firearms and firearms owned by unlicensed persons..(the shame of this was beautiful guns were axed and dumped like that winchester one of one thousand) I was a bit vague on that, most kiwis are like a lot of you yanks, responsible gun owners as hunting is also in our blood and with a license all is good, oh yeah! there is the ole politician that stands on the podium every now and then after a loop head goes nuts and wants to ban all firearms..but alas like you guys we come out firing (pun) and he gets shot down (pun)........3 million kiwis would join you in your war...more relics to find....heh!.. while on the subject...how old would you think this old percussion smooth bore is..cheers guys...des from down under..
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0698.webp
    DSCF0698.webp
    373.7 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0
I read you loud and clear Gruff. We'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you or anyone else to defend our ultimate Freedoms and Rights. Too many of these "Governments" around the world are pushing too far because they fear the "Armed Citizen". History has a way of repeating itself....and that time seems to be creeping closer and closer. I wish I were wrong.
Your Percussion Smoothbore doesn't look like a conversion like the ones in the 1814-1815 era.... so not knowing the manufacturer I can only guess sometime from about 1825 to 1850. After 1840-42 the rifled barreled percussion weapons made the smoothbore obsolete. Just my 2-1/2 cents.
Thanks for the pictures.
TiredIron

Did you put that Boar down with this fine rifle...?
 
Upvote 0
GRUFFALO said:
I guess i should have explained properly about the gun amnesty..it was directed at illegal firearms and firearms owned by unlicensed persons..(the shame of this was beautiful guns were axed and dumped like that winchester one of one thousand)
What is an illegal firearm and what kind of license do you need? Why didnt the owners just get licensed? What does it take to get one? Why are the guns destroyed instead of auctioned off?

Just curious because I saw a thing on TV about destroying guns in Australia.
 
Upvote 0
Australia did have a huge gun grab by the government. Anbody that says they didn't is being untruthful. And since it happened the crime rate with illegal firearms has gone up. According to the NRA that keeps stats on those things. Monty
 
Upvote 0
in Illinois you have to have a foid card (firearms owners identification card). they say in the us constitution that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. but they took mine away 20 years ago for trespassing. and i finally get it back this October
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom