BenedictGomez
Tenderfoot
- Joined
- Jul 28, 2016
- Messages
- 3
- Reaction score
- 2
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Posted this in the wrong section earlier (noob error, sorry), so reposting here.
I was walking in the woods near a stream the other day, and I looked down and noticed this object. It's an unusually solid (if that makes sense), dense rock, and I think due to the size and shape that it's an Indian axe head. The gf also thinks it's an Indian artifact, but she thinks it's a hand tool due to the ergonomic way in which it fits the palm. It's still fairly sharp, smooth along one side (not pictured), and has what I believe is an area where a wood handle would be attached to (by my fingers in 2nd pic), which has a near 90 degree indentation that I dont believe could be natural erosion. My brother, however, thinks it's just a rock and that I have an active imagination. This is in New Jersey, and Indians were known to live in the exact area where this was found, and an arrowhead was found on the property before, but oddly, not by the owners, who never actively looked for artifacts. The farmer had just tilled his field about 25 years ago, and a guy driving by stopped and asked if he could walk the field, and to the amazement of the owner (who told me this) within an hour the guy found an arrowhead described to me as nicely pristine, which both notches visible. The property is at the base of a mountain (a very large hill really) that still bears the name given to it by the Native Americans. Interestingly, the owners were farmers who despite the random stranger who quickly found that arrowhead, never "looked" themselves for artifacts, and have owned the land for almost 100 years. That's about all I know, but will try to provide any other info if it's helpful. Any guesses as to if it's Native American or just a very sharpy pointed rock? And regardless of whether it is or isnt, I'd love an explanation for how one would know either way so most importantly I can learn. Thanks!
I was walking in the woods near a stream the other day, and I looked down and noticed this object. It's an unusually solid (if that makes sense), dense rock, and I think due to the size and shape that it's an Indian axe head. The gf also thinks it's an Indian artifact, but she thinks it's a hand tool due to the ergonomic way in which it fits the palm. It's still fairly sharp, smooth along one side (not pictured), and has what I believe is an area where a wood handle would be attached to (by my fingers in 2nd pic), which has a near 90 degree indentation that I dont believe could be natural erosion. My brother, however, thinks it's just a rock and that I have an active imagination. This is in New Jersey, and Indians were known to live in the exact area where this was found, and an arrowhead was found on the property before, but oddly, not by the owners, who never actively looked for artifacts. The farmer had just tilled his field about 25 years ago, and a guy driving by stopped and asked if he could walk the field, and to the amazement of the owner (who told me this) within an hour the guy found an arrowhead described to me as nicely pristine, which both notches visible. The property is at the base of a mountain (a very large hill really) that still bears the name given to it by the Native Americans. Interestingly, the owners were farmers who despite the random stranger who quickly found that arrowhead, never "looked" themselves for artifacts, and have owned the land for almost 100 years. That's about all I know, but will try to provide any other info if it's helpful. Any guesses as to if it's Native American or just a very sharpy pointed rock? And regardless of whether it is or isnt, I'd love an explanation for how one would know either way so most importantly I can learn. Thanks!
Upvote
0








