What's new

Is this an old coin or a tourist item?

SGVALLEYMAN

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Hey there,
approx 2 years ago, I found this item at at yard sale...it was in a box of trinkets and I bought it for a dollar.
the seller did'nt know anything of it and said it had been his aunt's along with everything else at the yard sale.

It looks to me like an old coin or prehaps a tourist token, it is approx a 2" oval and appears to be of bronze or cooper because of the patina.
there appears to be some sort of ceremonial depiction on the obverse, and is blank on the reverse.
I have added several photos, some good and some not so...

if anyone could give me a few ideas as to what it is, I'd be very appreciative.

thanks.
 

Attachments

  • coin 1.webp
    coin 1.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 362
  • coin 2.webp
    coin 2.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 351
  • coin 3.webp
    coin 3.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 373
  • coin 5.webp
    coin 5.webp
    39 KB · Views: 352
Not any coin I have ever scene. Maybe a medallion? Someone on here will be able to tell you.
 
Upvote 0
Don't believe it's a coin, and from the pictures it appears to have been cast. It looks ecclesiastical (religious). Don't think it is anything that was hung from a chain and since the back appears to be flat I'm going to guess it was probably intended to be secured/displayed on a flat surface. There have also been many ecclesiastical pieces similar to this that were produced to commemorate an event of some sort. That's the best I can do for you. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I agree that it is probably cast, there seems to be some pitting on the reverse from what I can guess is the casting process..thank you for your input. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
You might try these folks, if it is an old ecclesiastical piece with any value these folks can give you the scoop. I've used them in the past:

Laugwitz & Co. o.H.G.
Xantener Ste. 15a
1000 Berlin 15
Phone: (030) 881 9363

Marine Salvage & Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 416 Port Isabel, TX. 78578
956-943-2648

I've not used them in a long while but in the past they have always been very accurate and very friendly. If these are of no help or no longer providing the service let me know as I have others you can try.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe something to do with a coronation?

Best,

Scott
 
Upvote 0
My guess is a version of this scene (by Rubens)
rubens1.webp

Salome presenting the head of John the Baptist to Herod.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
bigscoop said:
You might try these folks, if it is an old ecclesiastical piece with any value these folks can give you the scoop. I've used them in the past:

Laugwitz & Co. o.H.G.
Xantener Ste. 15a
1000 Berlin 15
Phone: (030) 881 9363

Marine Salvage & Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 416 Port Isabel, TX. 78578
956-943-2648

I've not used them in a long while but in the past they have always been very accurate and very friendly. If these are of no help or no longer providing the service let me know as I have others you can try.
Thank you..If i cant find the answer here, I may do that ! :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Its a Classic Roman scene (notice the temple arch in the background) of Women over a sacrificial Alter. They could be pouring libations as an offering to the gods, but the closest match & popular cult was that of the Vestal Virgins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

Its a cast brass (most likely), bronze if lucky souvenir piece as you suggest. It may of been standalone or embedded in a larger piece.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Its a Classic Roman scene (notice the temple arch in the background) of Women over a sacrificial Alter. They could be pouring libations as an offering to the gods, but the closest match & popular cult was that of the Vestal Virgins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

Its a cast brass (most likely), bronze if lucky souvenir piece as you suggest. It may of been standalone or embedded in a larger piece.
Kia ora Mate :icon_thumleft:
Can't you see the head on the platter?
Mike :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Huge back up! on my behalf :tongue3:
I agree, they are more likely vestal virgins
I have re-witnessed the high-points of the medallion
Mike
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Its a Classic Roman scene (notice the temple arch in the background) of Women over a sacrificial Alter. They could be pouring libations as an offering to the gods, but the closest match & popular cult was that of the Vestal Virgins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

Its a cast brass (most likely), bronze if lucky souvenir piece as you suggest. It may of been standalone or embedded in a larger piece.

I agree that indeed this may be a depection of the Vestal Virgins as you suggest..through the wikipedia site it shows that quote
" The 2nd- century antiquarian Aulus Gellius writes that the first Vestal taken from her parents was led away in hand by Numa. Plutarch attributes the founding of the Temple of Vesta to Numa, who appointed at first four priestesses; Servius Tullius increased the number to six"

I believe that my medallion is probably a souvenir as you suggest,


Thank you all for your great help !! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Not any coin I have ever scene. Maybe a medallion? Someone on here will be able to tell you.



Or even maybe some sort of badge or broach no?
 
Upvote 0
could it be a baptism, the thing in the center looks like a font where the baby would be baptized?
just a weird guess, you guys may be right.
h.h.
oldtimer
 
Upvote 0
thank you all for your response, I am not sure what it may in fact be, I guess that it may be a tourist trade item or a depiction of a classical roman story as suggested..all of the suggestions seem to apply.
The age of the item is also in question, not knowing anything of how to evaluate the age,composition or any direct reference to this only adds to the mystique...thanks again to everyone for your great comments!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom