🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this gold in quartz.

Jermm85

Feb 24, 2024
Very heavy, found in Virginia.
1000001953.jpg
1000001974.jpg
1000001959.jpg
1000001966.jpg

I see you found this in Virginia. This is just my opinion, but from the pictures, I think it looks like water stain or some form of liquid stain. Try to lightly clean an area. If it is gold, it would be attached or embedded and not clean away. If it is a stain, then it will obviously disappear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can, try and take some better images. Photograph directly under a desk lamp or similar. I am seeing what looks like a lot of mica, and some citrine/stained quartz. You could always break some off, crush the pieces, and do a little panning. Good luck out there!

Upvote 0
Appears to be pyrite with mica just based on pictures alone. But I’m looking at it thousands of miles away.

The dull yellow material is what I’d be focusing on.

Upvote 0
What county of Va are you in , are you even in the Goldbelt? The gold I find at one of Virginia's oldest mines is as small as a flea turd. take an ice pick or screwdriver and press into the rock, if it crumbles it's not gold, gold is soft and will mash.

Upvote 0
Try to pry a tiny piece of the face material off and crush it. Then pan it, see what happens. Probably gold colored mica but can't be sure.

Upvote 2
Check around for a pawn shop, jeweler or even a metal recycler that has a handheld XRF spectrometer and see if they will test it for you.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back