What's new

Is this Native American Indian Artifact?

BrettCo124

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
900
Reaction score
939
Golden Thread
0
Location
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am in a place where there has been much Native American campsites in Maryland. People have found arrowheads here before, including one myself.

I am not good at IDing things, and I was about to throw this one back in until I decided to ask you all if you could tell me if it's anything other than a stone. I feel like I've seen something similar before on the forum...

Thank you everybody.

BrettCo ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492292067.560155.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492292159.974399.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492292214.732182.webp
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to say but you can throw it back. It is a natural.
 
:( really? I can take more pics if need be! Haha I really want it to be something. What made you determine that?
 
:( really? I can take more pics if need be! Haha I really want it to be something. What made you determine that?
It is something, It's a Indian weather rock.
 
Sorry, it is just a rock, no signs of work by the hands of man on it.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
 
Indian weather rock? Im getting confused now, is it something or definitely nothing? Lol, I'll tell you this, it has something about it that screams artifact, although I completely agree that it shows no signs of work... but the angle, and the way it fits in the hand is so perfect. Please possibly be something Haha. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298840.421725.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298862.017420.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298885.401703.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298902.674581.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298940.039297.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492298959.529681.webp
 
Indian weather rock means just a rock.

Rock wet it is raining, rock dry not raining.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Hahaha. Okay, that's pretty funny. I just looked it up on google. Alright, I'm going to send it on its way then... but not without asking one last question: there is NO WAY this can be something because it has no signs of being worked? Like, impossible? I wish someone could hold it because it's so deceiving. It's gone if you answer no to that last question. Sorry for nagging.
 
Last edited:
There is a guy on here who can chisel that rock into a artifact tomorrow....and tell you he found it yesterday in a field,
or his mailbox. And it will be 6,000 years old.
 
Ok so it's impossible to be an artifact, I will give up on it now
 
You are not the only one to think a rock is something more just because it fits the hand or has some natural markings on it. I have a box full of artifact "wannabes"!
 
lol I don't want to let this one go! I don't know how it could form such a perfect oval indentation like that naturally. But, I better start my wannabe box too lol
 
No need to toss it....it's neat looking, why not hold on to it?

You could always use it yourself as something and then it becomes an artifact. :)
 
Great idea. It's staying with me. Now it's a win-win, lol
 
Definitely not an artifact. It shows absolutely no evidence of ever being altered or utilized by man, which by definition is what would make it an artifact. The funny thing about rocks "fitting the hand" is that every rock you will pick up will fit your hand if you turn them enough until you find a comfortable position for it. That's just the way hands are made to function.
 
Thanks for checking it out for me. I'm pretty disappointed! I was hoping it would have been weathered so much that no markings were present, but obviously not. I still came out with a beautiful arrowhead and it made my day. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492353586.140798.webp
 
The 1st one even though natural might be flint crack it open and see what the color is inside.
 
I'm still learning so forgive me, but what would be the importance of it if it's flint? Does that mean it could then be an artifact? Or just a specific type of rock that's interesting?
 
I'm still learning so forgive me, but what would be the importance of it if it's flint? Does that mean it could then be an artifact? Or just a specific type of rock that's interesting?

Flint is just a name for a type of stone, it almost looks to be a type of slate. Is it light in weight for it's size or can you scratch it with a knife. If so I would say it's slate, but it's still not an artifact sorry.
 
I'd say it's heavy for its size. I scratched it with a knife and it left a white line behind, so I'd say it scratches very easily.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom