It didnt take much, but now giving "no returns" a try.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
There is some very good dialog and a lot to learn in this thread. But, there is one thing that bothers me a bit. Alarmists stating flatly and absolutely that eBay will do this and not do that! People are trying to learn how to enjoy their hobby, or how to run a successful small business. Of course it is great that people share their opinions, but maybe they could hold back on the drama. No offense to anyone or targeting anyone ( some sensitive folks here) just enjoying this kind of thread and sharing my opinion.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I agree, but if you're referring to folks saying that ebay will side with the buyer and force you to make a return, they are right. Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item... happened to me just days ago. I haven't had many cases that I couldn't resolve myself, but in the few that ebay got involved, they ALWAYS have sided with the buyer. Most of those times I was the buyer. The times it happened when I was the seller, the buyer was unreasonable and trying to cheat me, so I refused to offer them more than a refund after they returned my item. They still side with the buyer.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree, but if you're referring to folks saying that ebay will side with the buyer and force you to make a return, they are right. Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item... happened to me just days ago. I haven't had many cases that I couldn't resolve myself, but in the few that ebay got involved, they ALWAYS have sided with the buyer. Most of those times I was the buyer. The times it happened when I was the seller, the buyer was unreasonable and trying to cheat me, so I refused to offer them more than a refund after they returned my item. They still side with the buyer.

I have not been involved in this scenario, but have heard many times that eBay always sides with the buyer. I guess that's why some sellers reserve the right to cancel bids especially if the buyer has bad or not much feedback...

sent from a potato...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disagree. eBay has never done me wrong as a seller. They have removed unwarranted feedback, they have refunded fees, they have always been fair to me.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I didn't say they weren't fair, in the end... but I had to get on the phone on multiple occasions and spend some quality time with a representative to get things made right. They sided with the buyer, that doesn't mean I got screwed int he end, but the buyer pretty much always gets what he/she wants. Ebay has almost always given me fair treatment when I explained the situation and got a rep to review the exchanges of messages, but the thing is ebay always hands me the short end of the stick and if I don't stand up for myself, I will not be treated fairly.

Last edited:

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
This is just a fact of life with Ebay. I have been selling for years and the scams are many. There are people who game the system regularly in their daily life. They don't care about you the seller trying to make a buck. Their motto is if it is free it is for me.
I have to protect my TRS rating from these idiots who threaten you with bad feedback/opening cases. The guy with a legitimate complaint or concern doesn't start off with I am reporting you to Ebay.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We offer 14 day and 30 day returns but in practice will take a return outside the period to satisfy a customer. Returns run between 3 and 5 % ( higher in the fall).

Ebay is a good portion of our business so we need to do everything on the up and up on the business accounts.

For a casual seller, I don't see the need to offer retutns.

It's like the difference between a department store and a garage sale. At the D.S. you get returns warranties etc and pay top dollar. At the G.S. you get no returns / warranties but do get a great deal.

Ebay in recent years has been catering more to business users than casual sellers. Hence all the problems. I also have my own personal account for selling metal detecting and picking treasures and I don't offer returns there.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say they weren't fair, in the end... but I had to get on the phone on multiple occasions and spend some quality time with a representative to get things made right. They sided with the buyer, that doesn't mean I got screwed int he end, but the buyer pretty much always gets what he/she wants. Ebay has almost always given me fair treatment when I explained the situation and got a rep to review the exchanges of messages, but the thing is ebay always hands me the short end of the stick and if I don't stand up for myself, I will not be treated fairly.

"I agree, but if you're referring to folks saying that ebay will side with the buyer and force you to make a return, they are right. Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item... happened to me just days ago. I haven't had many cases that I couldn't resolve myself, but in the few that ebay got involved, they ALWAYS have sided with the buyer. Most of those times I was the buyer. The times it happened when I was the seller, the buyer was unreasonable and trying to cheat me, so I refused to offer them more than a refund after they returned my item. They still side with the buyer."

I am very confused..... "Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item..." but "Ebay has almost always given me fair treatment when I explained the situation and got a rep to review the exchanges of messages." ??? Seems to be a contradiction here.

It's part of being in business, not every transaction or customer is going to be easy. If in the end eBay makes it right, even if one has to make a few phone calls or deal with some aggravation, they are making it right. Nobody but YOU is going to be an advocate for YOU, and again if in the end it all works out I don't understand where the gripe is.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
All in all, knock on wood, I have very few returns.

I've got a return coming this week, and the last return was in December from a guy who couldn't read an ad. I did have a buyer in November that returned a pair of boots that he wore hard and nearly destroyed, but 3 ebay reps told me not to refund his money, so I didn't.

Three returns in five months? It is worth the hassle, IMO.

I think clear descriptions and super clear pictures help me from getting a ton of returns. Then again, I haven't had too many scam artists...yet.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was selling a very nice 10K charm bracelet, asking $250 OBO. A buyer put in a first offer of $200 and I came down to meet them at $215 for a sale. Buyer pays immediately, no problem there.

Then, two days later, I inform the buyer I will be shipping the item the next day and that I will let them know the tracking number as soon as it ships.

The buyer then informs me that they were hoping it would have been shipped sooner as it was going to be a birthday present for his wife. He said that he understands stuff happens and thanks me for letting him know.

Next, he sends me another message. This time he says he had to buy a backup present due to not being able to count on my item arriving on time. He asks what my return policy is.

So was the package shipped before or after you received the last message from him about having to buy a back up present? If he was really worried about it getting to him in time for his wife's birthday, wouldn't shipping time be the first thing he asked about when the deal was first done? I know it would have been a question I asked before I even made the deal myself. Let us know how this turns out. I think he's up to something.

BTW- When it comes to no returns, as a buyer myself at times, I don't even check a seller's return policies. If I want to return something, I will, and I will get my money back too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So was the package shipped before or after you received the last message from him about having to buy a back up present? If he was really worried about it getting to him in time for his wife's birthday, wouldn't shipping time be the first thing he asked about when the deal was first done? I know it would have been a question I asked before I even made the deal myself. Let us know how this turns out. I think he's up to something.

BTW- When it comes to no returns, as a buyer myself at times, I don't even check a seller's return policies. If I want to return something, I will, and I will get my money back too.

Yeah, I don't expect this to be an ultimate solution. I figure if anything it will at least show buyers that are looking to pull something that I may put up a fight. Hopefully this will deter those users enough to choose some other target.

This buyer NEVER asked ME about the shipping. In fact, I was the one who told HIM on the third day that the package would be shipped on the 4th day and I had apologized for such a delay. His response to such was that he wanted it by a certain date, but he understood that these things happen. It wasn't until more than a day later that he had messaged me and informed me he had purchased a backup present and was seeking to return mine. This was after I had shipped it and had told him such.

Ultimately, it all makes little sense to me. I gave him a heads up that the package would be shipping in a day, he said he was okay with it despite desiring it for a certain date. He could have easily asked to cancel the transaction or could have requested a shipping upgrade to ensure that it would arrive on time. He did neither and waited until AFTER I shipped it to tell me he didn't want it. THEN he asked me for a steep 25% off partial refund. I really feel like he was trying to pull one over on me. Either that or he is just a rather scatter-brained individual.

I received the item back in the mail and immediately refunded the remaining amount and contacted the seller to let him know. So far I haven't heard from him or received feedback.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
At least you got your item back. It could be worse...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got your item back. It could be worse...

sent from a potato...

Lol, I didn't even want to think it was going south from here. Pretty sure eBay wouldn't let the buyer keep both the money and the item, but they could still make it a pita.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
"I agree, but if you're referring to folks saying that ebay will side with the buyer and force you to make a return, they are right. Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item... happened to me just days ago. I haven't had many cases that I couldn't resolve myself, but in the few that ebay got involved, they ALWAYS have sided with the buyer. Most of those times I was the buyer. The times it happened when I was the seller, the buyer was unreasonable and trying to cheat me, so I refused to offer them more than a refund after they returned my item. They still side with the buyer."

I am very confused..... "Ebay sides with the buyer no matter how ridiculous the scenario is. They can take the money away from you and not even require the buyer to return your item..." but "Ebay has almost always given me fair treatment when I explained the situation and got a rep to review the exchanges of messages." ??? Seems to be a contradiction here.

It's part of being in business, not every transaction or customer is going to be easy. If in the end eBay makes it right, even if one has to make a few phone calls or deal with some aggravation, they are making it right. Nobody but YOU is going to be an advocate for YOU, and again if in the end it all works out I don't understand where the gripe is.

Ebay will give you the shaft if you let them. I had to make the expense of my time to get things straightened out on many occasions. If I invest enough time, I can recoup my losses usually. Sometimes the time is worth more than the losses, but I do it anyway. Where do you see a contradiction exactly? Ebay sides with the buyer, ebay screws the seller. Seller must spend his time in order to reverse the "screwing". The only way I get fair treatment is when I demand it. I guess that in itself isn't fair treatment, is it?

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very lucky. Been selling since 1999, over 7200 sales, and only had 1 item returned. Had one negative feedback( and it was because the guy did not read the instructions) and never had a case opened on Ebay against me. I have had 2 attempted chergebacks through Paypal, but both were decided in my favor. I have had to get on the phone a couple of times because I had some of my auctions removed for containing email address and my phone number, until I pointed out that the listing were in the business and industrial categories, where you are allowed to have email address and phone numbers.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very lucky. Been selling since 1999, over 7200 sales, and only had 1 item returned. Had one negative feedback( and it was because the guy did not read the instructions) and never had a case opened on Ebay against me. I have had 2 attempted chergebacks through Paypal, but both were decided in my favor. I have had to get on the phone a couple of times because I had some of my auctions removed for containing email address and my phone number, until I pointed out that the listing were in the business and industrial categories, where you are allowed to have email address and phone numbers.

Just out of curiosity - what is it that you mainly sell? Only one return is amazing. I've had two now, but have only sold around a hundred items having just started at the end of last year.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell gold suckers that I make, and other items that I think people will be interested in. From books to mugs, cross stitch kits to models, lighters to models for old false teeth, joshua tree seeds to support hose, and many other things!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread